Legislation, Regulation & Case Law
Statues & Regulations
- Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Act (IWWA): Connecticut General Statues (CGS) Sections 22a-36 through 22a-45
- Inland Wetlands and Water Courses Regulations: Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies Sections 22a-39-1 through 22a-39-15
- Day of receipt, notice to adjoining municipalities, etc.: CGS Section 8-7d
- Definition of farming/agriculture: CGS Section 1-1(q)
Regulation Guidance for Municipal Inland Wetlands Agencies
DEEP.Municipal.Inland.Wetland.Regs@ct.gov is the dedicated email address for the submission of municipal inland wetlands agency regulation amendment proposals and final adopted regulations.
The subject line of the email must include:
- The year;
- Town/City name; and,
- Proposed/adopted regulations.
(e.g., Subject: 2020, Town of _____, Proposed Regulation Title/s).
Please attach your documents (e.g., regulations, hearing notice, and cover letter) in PDF format. A brief reply email acknowledging receipt of your adopted regulations or amendments will be sent.
Note - this email address is solely for the submission of regulations. Other correspondence or requests submitted through this email address will not be answered.
If you are unable to submit your regulations electronically, you may continue to mail a paper copy to:
Brian Thompson, Director
DEEP Land & Water Resources Division
79 Elm Street
Hartford, CT 06106-5127
Regulation Amendment Process
The following information has been prepared to assist you in the regulation amendment process. Please consult with your town attorney to ensure that your proposed amendments accomplish your objectives and conform to IWWA.
- DEEP Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Model Municipal Regulations: Fourth Edition May 1, 2006.
- Legislation and Regulation Advisories (supplement to the model municipal regulations):
- Guidelines: Upland Review Area Regulations - Connecticut's Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Act (also found as Appendix C of the model municipal regulations).
- Regulatory Timelines and Flowcharts
The following information was presented during DEEP's Municipal Inland Wetlands Agency Continuing Education Workshops:
2017 & 2018 No court cases presented.
2016 Court Case Synopsis Outline
2015 Court Case Synopsis Outline
2014 Court Case Synopsis Outline
2013 Court Case Synopsis Outline
2012 Court Case Synopsis Outline
2011 Court Case Synopsis Outline
2010 Court Case Synopsis Outline
2009 Court Case Synopsis Outline
2008 Court Case Synopsis Outline
Content Last Updated June 3, 2019.