Comprehensive Evaluation and Transformation of Connecticut’s Cleanup Laws
- Draft Proposal for a Transformed Cleanup Program (February 2013) - The February 7, 2013 Draft Proposal for a Transformed Cleanup Program, a detailed report on the Cleanup Transformation, was posted for further stakeholder comment.
- RSR and ELUR Amendments (Effective June 27, 2013) - The amendments to the Remediation Standard Regulations (RSRs) R.C.S.A. Sections 22a-133k-1 through -3 and the Environmental Land Use Restrictions regulations (ELURs) R.C.S.A. Section 22a-133q-1 became effective on June 27, 2013.
- Significant Environmental Hazard Statutory Amendments (Effective July 1, 2015)
- Discussion Documents for Remediation Regulation Amendments (August 2013 – Present) - The Department has posted discussion drafts on certain RSR topics for potential future improvements to the remediation regulations (“Wave 2” RSRs) to obtain public feedback. Please review the discussion documents and send your thoughts to the Department via e-mail.
- Risk-Based Decision-Making Evaluation (On-going) - Documents related to the evaluation of risk-based decision-making
Timeline of Events
In January 2011, the Department released the Comprehensive Evaluation White Paper that provided baseline information on Connecticut’s site cleanup programs and the underlying laws that effect pollution cleanup. The white paper offered a summary of the current cleanup construct, past evaluations and changes to the program, and started the discussion on the opportunities for future improvement.
Public Act No. 11-141
Public Visioning (June - December 2011)
The Final Visioning Summary Report dated December 15, 2011, summarizes the visioning session, the guided questions utilized during the session, and public comments provided as part of that process.
The Department held a public meeting to solicit ideas for workgroup topics as part of the evaluation and transformation of Connecticut’s cleanup laws on August 9, 2011 at DEEP Headquarters in Hartford. Twenty-nine workgroup topic ideas were captured during this meeting, including four topics offered by the Department that were required by Public Act No. 11-141. PowerPoint presentation from the August 9, 2011 Workgroup Discussion Session
Six Evaluation Workgroups prepared draft reports (September 30, 2011) for consideration by the Department, which in turn were posted on-line for public comment. After consideration of specific comments on the draft reports by the co-leads for each workgroup, the Final Workgroup Reports are presented below:
Final Report to the Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection on Entry Points and Triggers into the Current Connecticut Cleanup Programs
Report to the Governor and General Assembly (December 2011)
As required by Public Act No. 11-141, the Department submitted a report to the Governor and General assembly that summarized the evaluation conducted and proposed a draft vision and conceptual design for a transformed cleanup program. Report to the Governor and the Joint Standing Committees on Environment and Commerce on the Comprehensive Evaluation of the Connecticut Cleanup Program and Proposal for Transformation
The Department held a public meeting on January 10, 2012 [PowerPoint Presentation from January 10, 2012 Public Feedback Meeting] to summarize the evaluation process, and the draft conceptual design presented in this report. In addition, the Department explained the next steps of the transformation process and received comments and input from the stakeholders present.
The Department issued the Draft Proposed Program Outline for a Transformed Cleanup Program on September 27, 2012 and requested public feedback through December 2012. The Department held a public meeting on November 7, 2012 to summarize this proposal and to receive stakeholder feedback. In addition, the six Transformation Workgroups presented a summary of their preliminary discussions, recommendations, and comments:
- DEEP Presentation from November 7, 2012 Public Feedback Meeting
- Liability Workgroup Presentation
- Reportable Releases Workgroup Presentation
- Early Exit Workgroup Presentation
- Transition Workgroup Presentation
- RSRs Evaluation (Soil and Sediment) Workgroup Presentation
- RSRs Evaluation (Groundwater and NAPL) Workgroup Presentation
During the Remediation Roundtable, the Department described the Draft Proposed Program Outline for a Transformed Cleanup Program and summarized the recommendations of the six Transformation Workgroups (DEEP Presentation at Remediation Roundtable on November 13, 2012).
Roundtable attendees participated in a breakout session to provide the Department with feedback on the following four topics: LEP Board, Verifications and Milestones, Audit Program and Cleanup Program Metrics [Transformation Breakout Session: Topics and Questions]
Six Transformation Workgroups [Transformation Workgroup Membership] provided Reports to the Department, summarizing their workgroup discussions and recommendations:
- Liability Transformation Workgroup Report
- Reportable Releases Transformation Workgroup Report
- Early Exit Transformation Workgroup Report
- Transition Period Transformation Workgroup Report
- RSRs Evaluation (Soil and Sediment) Transformation Workgroup Report
- RSRs Evaluation (Groundwater and NAPL) Transformation Workgroup Report
Content Last Updated January 29, 2016