Equitable Energy Efficiency (E3)
Vision Statement for Equity in Energy Efficiency
Energy efficiency is one of the most cost-effective energy resources and has the potential to reduce energy burdens, cut carbon emissions, and promote community resilience. However, conscious effort is required to ensure that these benefits are conferred equitably among Connecticut residents.
Equitable energy efficiency programs will:
- Alleviate high energy burdens for low-income and underserved households
- Recognize and remediate past harm by prioritizing historically under-resourced communities
- Mitigate and eliminate barriers to low- to moderate-income participation in energy efficiency programs
- Drive accessible and transparent process to incorporate residents’ priorities and lived experiences into program design and decision-making
- Ensure equitable access to the benefits of energy efficiency
The goal of Phase I is to characterize the current state of energy efficiency programs across multiple dimensions of equity while taking short-term actions to enhance equity based on known barriers and challenges. Future E3 phases will use the findings of Phase I to further institutionalize equity in program design. DEEP will announce the commencement of Phase II at a later date.
Phase I Goals and Actions
Released in July 2021 after a multi-week public process, the Phase 1 Goals and Actions (or Final Determination) will help characterize the current state of energy efficiency programs across multiple dimensions of equity while taking short-term actions to enhance equity based on known barriers and challenges.
The valuable input we received through public comments and meetings helped to shape the Goals and Actions put forward in the Final Determination. The Summary of E3 Comments and Revisions provides a full account of public comments received in Phase I of this Proceeding, in addition to a summary of changes made between the Draft and Final Determination.
Phase I Progress Reports
Accountability is critical to equity work. DEEP plans to issue updated progress reports quarterly to ensure consistent inventory of progress on the Goals of the Equitable Energy Efficiency (E3) Proceeding. Follow along on our progress towards E3 Goals and Actions through regularly-released progress reports.
- Jun 18, 2021 | Deadline for Public Comments
- May 27, 2021 | Public Input Session | Agenda | Recording | Slides | Slides (Spanish)
- Jul 21, 2021 | Final Phase 1 Determination Released
- May 20, 2021 | Public Technical Meeting | Agenda | Recording | Slides
- May 5, 2021 | Phase 1 Public Comment Period Begins
- Sep 3, 2020 | E3 Scoping Process Begins | Official Notice | Press Release
- View the Fall 2021 Progress Report
- View the Summer 2021 Progress Report
- View the Final Determination
- View the Summary of E3 Comments and Revisions
- View the Draft Determination
- View the 2018 Equitable Distribution Report
Questions and Feedback
Content last updated May 2022