Benefits of the Long Island Sound
License Plate Program
When you buy a Long Island Sound plate, $35 ($50 for special order plates) of the one-time charge goes into the Long Island Sound (LIS) Fund. The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection distributes the money to schools, municipalities, environmental groups, and other non-profit organizations which apply for grants for projects to benefit Long Island Sound. Some of the projects made possible through the LIS Fund include:
- Protection of valuable habitats and species such as herons and egrets, least terns, and diamondback terrapins.
- Underwater data collection and mapping, and water quality monitoring.
- A video about the importance of the Sound distributed to all elementary schools statewide.
- Fishing piers and boardwalks that increase public access.
- Educational signs that inform the public about the diversity of plant and animal species in the Long Island Sound ecosystem.
- Beach grass planting to help prevent the erosion of our beaches.
For more information on completed License Plate projects, see the regular feature, "Putting Your LIS Plate Money to Work" in DEEP's Sound Outlook Newsletter.
Content Last Updated on March 28, 2012