Using Your Barbeque Safely
• It is fun to eat outside.
• You can cook outside too.
• Many people cook outside using a barbeque or grill.
Types of Barbeques
• Some people use gas barbeques.
• Some use charcoal barbeques.
• Here are safety tips about both:
• Never leave a barbecue unattended!
• Never move a lit barbecue.
• Use long-handled forks, spatulas, and spoons.
Barbeque Safety Tips
• Use a barbeque with a lid.
• Do not cook on a balcony or deck.
• Make sure the ground is flat.
• Stay away from trees.
• Cook at least ten feet away from your house
or apartment building.
• Do not put water on the fire!
• For gas grills:
o Turn off the burners
o If it is safe, turn off the tank valve
• For charcoal grills:
o Close the grill lid
If the flames do not go out:
• Report It! Call 9-1-1!
• Call the Fire Department right away.
• Fight It! – But only if the fire is small.
o You may fight it after you report it.
o Use a fire extinguisher.
• Escape It!
o If the fire gets big, or goes near the gas tank, get away from it. Wait far away from
it for the Fire Department to come.