Student Voter Fact Sheet

Student Voter: Quick References and Resources

Important Connecticut Election Dates and Deadlines

College Student Voter Registration Guide (click image to download printable flyer):

 College 101 Guide - Download

Visit for more information.


Am I eligible to vote in CT?

  • Are you at least 17 and turning 18 on or before election day?

  • Are you a United States citizen and a bona fide resident of some town in Connecticut?

  • If you have been convicted of a felony, have you completed confinement?

    Restoring Voting Rights of Convicted Felons (English)
    Como Restaurar tu Derecho de Votar (Español)

    (Please note: If your conviction involved a violation of election law, then you should check with the Division of Criminal Justice before you attempt to register.)

If you can answer yes to all three of these questions, you are eligible to vote in CT.


How do I register to vote in CT?

There are two different ways you can register to vote in CT. You are able to register online at if you have a Connecticut Driver’s License or a non-driver ID. Otherwise, you are able to complete a paper registration card and deliver it to your local Registrar of Voters before the registration deadlines. CT also has Election Day Registration available. Visit for more information.

What is an acceptable form of identification to show at the polls?

Photo Identification is not required. For most voters, your identification must fit one of the following requirements for it to be accepted as a valid form of ID at the polls: name and address, or name and signature, or name and photograph.

However, for voters who are voting for the first time, and lacked proper identification when registering, some additional types of identification may be required. Contact your local registrar of voters’ office or visit our FAQ - Voter Identification page for more information on ID requirements.


I attend college in CT, but I am from another state. Where do I vote?

You can either vote in your hometown or in the town where you live while at college.

There are some college students who would prefer to vote in their home state. Each State’s deadlines for registering to vote and obtaining an absentee ballot are different. Make sure you check with that State’s election officials. Visit for more information and links.


I am from CT and attending college. Where do I vote and how do I vote back in my CT town?

You can either vote in your hometown or in the town where you live while at college.  

Connecticut law allows you to receive an absentee ballot if, in your judgment, an absence from your town on Election Day prevents you from appearing at your polling place, or you are prevented from appearing at your assigned polling place on Election Day because of sickness or physical disability (not necessarily your sickness or disability), active service in the Military, religious tenets forbid secular activity on the day of the election, duties as an election official at a polling place other than your own during all of the hours of voting.

To apply online for your CT absentee ballot, visit Or visit for more information and links to the application.


What is the difference between my physical and mailing address?

Your physical address determines where you vote, not your mailing address. A mailing address is the place where you are able to receive mail and your physical address is where you are located. Some colleges use your dorm room or apartment number as both your physical and mailing address, although some do not. An example would be if you live in Smith Hall, but you get your mail delivered to the Student Center. Your mailing address could be 5555 Education Circle, College in CT, Anytown, CT, 06000; while your physical address would be 101 Smith Hall, College in CT. Visit for more information.

Courts have said that an individual is a resident of a town if they have some nexus to that particular town, and there is an intention to return to that town when absent from it. This could be a town that you have spent time in, slept in, and intend to go back to even if you are not presently there. 


What happens if I miss one of the registration deadlines? Can I still register and vote on the day of the election (Election Day Registration)?

You may register and vote in person on election day if you meet the eligibility requirements for voting in this state and you are not already registered, or you are registered in one town and want to change your registration because you currently reside in another town. Election Day Registration (EDR) is not available at your polling place. Contact your local registrar of voter’s office for information about your town’s designated EDR location and ID requirements. You will need to provide proof of identity and residency. Visit for more information.


For links and more detailed information please visit

This material is designed to provide basic information to the voters of Connecticut and is not meant to be a comprehensive review of Connecticut election law. Please contact the Secretary of the State at (860) 509-6100 if you have specific questions, concerns or complaints.