(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont today announced that his administration is making $1.55 million in state funding available to support the Connecticut Department of Agriculture’s Local Food Purchase and Assistance Grant program for the purchase of Connecticut Grown farm products to distribute to food-insecure populations.
Funded by the state, this program continues a program previously supported by federal dollars and serves as a critical stop-gap measure following recent federal funding cuts. The program aims to increase access to locally grown farm products for distribution to food-insecure populations, while also supporting the operations of Connecticut farmers and the state’s overall agricultural economy.
Eligible entities – including food hubs, food pantries, municipalities, community health centers, nonprofit organizations, and other entities committed to food access – can now begin applying for grants to support the program’s objectives, with available grant amounts ranging from $100,000 to $301,000.
“Every family should be able to access nutritious, locally grown food, and this program aims to eliminate barriers to healthy eating while also supporting Connecticut farmers and their operations,” Governor Lamont said. “This program was effective when it was supported by federal funding, and by releasing these state dollars we can help ensure that it continues to function and its mission can endure.”
“Access to healthy, locally grown food is a basic necessity,” Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz said. “By investing in this program, we’re not only addressing food insecurity but also strengthening Connecticut’s agricultural economy. This initiative ensures that families in need can put fresh, nutritious food on the table while supporting the farmers who are the backbone of our communities.”
“This program was widely successful when federally funded, and by funding it at the state level, we’re keeping vital partnerships connected across the food supply chain,” Connecticut Agriculture Commissioner Bryan P. Hurlburt said. “This ensures residents in underserved communities can access fresh, nutritious, and culturally appropriate food. It’s not just an investment in the health and wellbeing of Connecticut residents – it keeps markets open for farms of all sizes. This initiative reflects the Lamont administration’s commitment to supporting farmers and families while building on previous commitments to Connecticut agriculture.”
Food insecurity remains a pressing issue in Connecticut. According to recent data, one in ten Connecticut residents struggle with food insecurity, and more than 400,000 residents, including 100,000 children, lack consistent access to nutritious meals. This program helps ensure that fresh produce, dairy, meats, and other Connecticut Grown products reach families who need them most.
Since 2022, through the federally funded Local Food Purchase and Assistance Grant program, the Connecticut Department of Agriculture has partnered with eight grantees statewide. Together, these partners have purchased $5,672,634.51 in products from 166 producers and distributed food through approximately 500 organizations across 121 cities and towns.
Eligible entities interested in applying for grants can find more information about the application process online by visiting portal.ct.gov/doag/adarc/adarc/local-food-purchase-assistance-cooperative-agreement-program.
These entities are also strongly encouraged to participate in an informational webinar that will be held on Wednesday, February 25, 2026, at 4:00 p.m. To register for the webinar, visit the program’s website and click the “register here” link.
Grant applications must be submitted to the Connecticut Department of Agriculture by March 11, 2026, at 4:00 p.m.