Press Releases


Starting Today: THC-Infused Beverages Only Available In Package Stores, Licensed Cannabis Establishments

Sale of THC-Infused Beverages Are Now Restricted to Adults 21 and Older

HARTFORD — Effective July 1, 2024, THC-infused beverages can only be sold at cannabis retail establishments (dispensary facilities, hybrid retailers, and retailers) and package stores with an endorsement. The law also prohibits the sale of THC-infused beverages to individuals under the age of 21.

THC-infused beverages are non-alcoholic drinks that contain THC. This might be displayed as “hemp-derived,” Delta-8, Delta-9, Delta-10, THCA, HHC or similar words.

“The team at the Department of Consumer Protection has worked hard to quickly implement the provisions of this new law passed by the legislature, and communicate those changes to affected businesses,” said DCP Commissioner Bryan T. Cafferelli. “This new law ensures greater consumer protections, including enhanced packaging and labeling requirements as well as testing standards that are in line with the testing standards for cannabis products. Thank you to those businesses that have come into compliance with the legislation, as well as the team at DCP for their work.”

The new law creates the following rules for selling THC-infused beverages:

  • After July 1, 2024, only licensed cannabis retailers and package store permittees may sell THC-infused beverages.
  • All other businesses in possession of previously-allowed THC-infused beverages may no longer sell them.
  • THC-infused beverages sold by package stores and cannabis retailers after October 1, 2024, may contain no more than 3 mg of THC per 12-ounce container. The law also implements other packaging and labeling standards.

Adults who choose to consume cannabis or THC-infused beverages and other products are reminded to do so responsibly, including storing products containing THC in their original packaging, locked up and out of reach of children and pets. Resources regarding responsible cannabis use, as well as information about addiction and health risks is available at

For more information about THC-infused beverages, visit

Liquor permittees with questions about the new law should contact

All other businesses and consumers with questions may contact the department at

Twitter: DCP on Twitter
Facebook: DCP on Facebook

Media Contact:
Kaitlyn Krasselt
(860) 713-6019 (office)
(860) 377-0246 (cell)