Pharmacist License by Reciprocity/Transfer Instructions


The State of Connecticut has contracted with the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy
(NABP) to provide verification of your pharmacist credentials in the state(s) in which you are
presently licensed, and in expediting your licensure as a pharmacist in Connecticut by
reciprocity. The NABP administers both the NAPLEX and MPJE national pharmacist exams as
well as the Electronic Licensure Transfer Program (ELTP) that allows pharmacists, already
licensed by examination in another state, to obtain licensure in another state by reciprocity.

In order to obtain licensure as a pharmacist in Connecticut by reciprocity, you are required to
take the CT MPJE (law) and receive a minimum score of 75 and, prior to licensure, have a
personal interview with the CT Commission of Pharmacy. To initiate the application process,
you must do the following:

  • Submit the NABP Preliminary Application for Transfer of Licensure. This may be
    completed online at under "Programs." When NABP has received your
    completed Preliminary Application (contact NABP for application fee) they will initiate the process of
    verifying your pharmacist credentials in the state(s) in which you are presently licensed.

    Once this process is completed, the NABP will provide you with an "Official Application for
    Transfer of your Pharmacist License" this will be a PDF form in your e-profile. The Official Application for Transfer, once completed, should be mailed with a check or money order for $200.00, payable to "Treasurer, State of Connecticut" to the address:
Department of Consumer Protection
License Services Division
450 Columbus Blvd, Suite 801
Hartford, CT 06103
  • Taking the MPJE Exam:
    To apply for the MPJE exam, you should obtain the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy's NAPLEX/MPJE Registration Bulletin.
    • The NAPLEX/MPJE Registration Bulletin is available in a PDF format on the Association’s Web site,
    • The Internet-based registration form and credit card payment fee process is available on the Association’s Web site,, and allows for rapid registration and convenience. The fee for taking the MPJE is $200.

Once you have submitted a preliminary application to the Connecticut Commission of Pharmacy
and have registered for the MPJE, you will receive an "Authorization To Test" directly from Pearson VUE (usually via e-mail) that contains the following information:

  1. MPJE Examination Dates
  2. Test Authorization Number
  3. Candidate Identification Number
  4. Expiration Date

Once you receive the "Authorization to Test" you may make an appointment at an appropriate testing center to complete the test.

  • NOTE: Once you have submitted your application to the Commission of Pharmacy, you may apply for a “Temporary Permit to Practice Pharmacy” in Connecticut. This application, once approved by the Commission of Pharmacy, will allow you to work as a pharmacist in Connecticut for up to 180 days or until you obtain your permanent pharmacist license, whichever comes first. You must work alongside a Connecticut licensed pharmacist when practicing with a temporary permit. You may obtain an application for a Temporary Permit from the Department’s Commission of Pharmacy page at

Recent Photograph Submissions

As part of your application for Pharmacist Licensure by Examination you are required to submit a recent passport style photograph of yourself which is signed by you on the back of the photograph. The requirements of a passport style photograph are as follows:
  • Make sure the photograph presents the full head from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin
  • Your head should be centered in the frame of the photograph
  • You should be facing the camera
  • The photo should be in color
  • The photo should be taken within the last 6 months

Any questions concerning the application process may be directed to the Commission of Pharmacy at or 860-713-6070.