Movers and Moving

In-state movers are regulated by the Department of Transportation. 

Out of state movers (across Connecticut borders) are regulated by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
  • Movers and auto transporters must be registered under the "federal unified carrier registration system" with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
  • There is a 6 digit “MC Docket” number for movers and auto transporters
  • Auto transporters also have a 7 digit “USDOT” number
  • Movers must also have the Household Goods Carrier Certificate or Motor Contract Carrier permit issued by the Connecticut Department of Transportation (and corresponding registration number)
  • Under federal law, an out-of-state mover must present you with a copy of the booklet, Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move
  • Movers and auto transporters must provide a bill of lading after your belongings loaded on the truck

Additional information about planning a move can be found at