|Contact: Steve Jensen
|August 25, 2011|
MEMBERS OF CONNECTICUT HEALTH INSURANCE EXCHANGE ANNOUNCED
Wide Range of Experts to Focus on Expanding Access, Reducing Costs
Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman today announced the 14 members of the Connecticut Health Insurance Exchange, which by 2014 will offer individuals a variety of coverage options.
The Exchange is a quasi-public agency and a component of the federal Affordable Care Act.
Lt. Governor Wyman is Chair of the Exchange, which will hold its first meeting on Monday, Aug. 29 at 10 a.m. in the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.
"We have assembled a wide variety of experts who I am confident will achieve the goals of the Exchange - expanding access to affordable, high quality health care coverage while reducing costs," Wyman said.
The members are:
- Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman - Chair
- Benjamin Barnes - Secretary, Office of Policy and Management
- Roderick Bremby - Commissioner, Dept. of Social Services
- Jeannette DeJesús - Special Advisor to the Governor on Health Care Reform
- Michael Devine - Barriers to Individual Health Care Coverage Expert
- Mary Fox - Expert in Issues Relating to Small Employer Health Insurance
- Mickey Herbert - Health Care Access Issues Faced by Self-Employed Individuals Expert
- Thomas Leonardi - Commissione r , Department of Insurance (non-voting)
- Dr. Jewel Mullen - Commissioner, Dept. of Public Health (non-voting)
- Dr. Grant Ritter - Health Care Economics Expert
- Dr. Robert Scalettar - Health Care Delivery Systems Expert
- Dr. Robert Tessier - Health Care Benefits Plan Administration Expert
- Victoria Veltri - State Healthcare Advocate (non-voting)
- Cecilia Woods - Health Care Finance Expert
The exchange will ensure that participating health plans meet certain standards and facilitate competition and choices by rating the quality of each plan. Individuals and families buying coverage through exchanges may qualify for premium tax credits. The exchanges also will coordinate eligibility and enrollment with state Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Programs.