Meals and snacks served to adult participants in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) must comply with CACFP adult meal patterns. The new CACFP adult meal patterns began on October 1, 2017, as required by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) final rule, Child and Adult Care Food Program: Meal Pattern Revisions Related to the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. Effective October 1, 2021, the required amount for the grains component change to the ounce equivalents in Grain Ounce Equivalents for the CACFP.
The final rule requires more whole grains and a greater variety of vegetables and fruits, and reduces the amount of added sugars and solid fats in CACFP meals. It also better aligns the CACFP with other Child Nutrition Programs.
CACFP Adult Meal Patterns (Through September 30, 2021)
- CACFP Meal Patterns for Adults (CSDE)
- CACFP Meal Pattern Poster: Serve Tasty and Healthy Foods in the CACFP Sample Meals for Adults (USDA)
- CACFP Meal Pattern Training Slides (USDA)
- CSDE Guide: Meal Pattern Requirements for CACFP Adult Day Care Centers
- Grain Serving Sizes
- Noncreditable Foods in CACFP Adult Day Care Centers (CSDE)
- Nutrition Standards for CACFP Meals and Snacks (USDA)
- Resources for the CACFP Meal Patterns (CSDE): Resources and websites to assist sponsors with meeting the CACFP meal pattern and crediting requirements
- Updated CACFP Meal Patterns: Child and Adult Meals (USDA)
- Updated CACFP Meal Patterns: Child and Adult Meals Spanish (USDA
Meal Pattern Guidance
- Crediting Foods (Related Resources section)
- Meal Service (Related Resources section)
- Menu Forms (Documents/Forms section)
- Menu Planning (Related Resources section)
- Production Records (Documents/Forms section)
- Sample Menus (Documents/Forms section)
- USDA Memo CACFP 08-2017: Questions and Answers on the Updated Meal Pattern Requirements for the Child and Adult Care Food Program
Go to the Documents/Forms section in the left navigation bar to access access menu forms, production records, and sample menus for CACFP adult day care centers. Go to the Related Resources section in the left navigation bar to access information on crediting foods, menu planning, and meal service for CACFP adult day care centers.