PURA Approves Revised Standard Service Electric Rates
New Rates Take Effect July 1, 2020
The Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA) has approved revised generation rates for residential and business customers subscribing to the standard service generation supply offered by Eversource and United Illuminating (UI).
Eversource and UI recently submitted proposed summer cycle rates based on competitive auctions held earlier this year to procure the electricity needed to meet forecasted load. Both utilities pass through standard service rates without markup or profit. The bid process is overseen by PURA. The new rates were announced following analysis and verification by PURA staff.
The following rates will be in effect beginning on July 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020:
- Eversource residential standard service rate: 7.38 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh)
- Eversource business standard service rate: 7.42 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh)
- United Illuminating residential Rate R standard service rate: 8.67 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh)
- United Illuminating residential Rate RT Time-of-Use Peak rate: 11.23 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh)
- United Illuminating residential Rate RT Time-of-Use Off-Peak rate: 7.73 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh)
Approximately 75% of Connecticut’s residential customers receive Standard Service generation from Eversource and UI. The remaining residential customers have chosen to receive their electricity from one of the state’s licensed electric suppliers, whose rates may be more or less than the Standard Service depending upon contract terms and the energy source.
Customers can compare UI and Eversource Standard Service generation rates to licensed suppliers' current offers on Connecticut's official generation Rate Board at www.energizect.com. PURA encourages customers who choose to take part in the third-party electric supplier market to regularly review the Supply Summary information that appears on the first page of their electric bills and to contact PURA at 800-382-4586 with any questions or to register complaints
Director of Legislation, Regulation and Communication