BERLIN PUBLIC SCHOOLSThe Berlin Public Schools Armed Security Officer (“ASO”) Program involves the placement of armed security officers within the educational environment. The ASO shall support the school administration, staff and school resource officer (SRO) in promoting a safe, secure, and positive school environment. The ASO is a visible and active figure at the schools, and shall be charged with safeguarding and protecting the school community and school property.
- High school diploma or equivalent required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Must have excellent integrity and demonstrate good moral character and initiative;
- Must have at least fifteen years prior experience as a sworn law enforcement officer with an organized local police department or the Division of State Police within the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, and provide positive references from each prior employer served in a law enforcement capacity;
- Must have been certified by the Police Officer Standards and Training Council while serving as a sworn law enforcement officer, and must have retired or separated in good standing from an organized local police department or the Division of State Police as required by CT General Statute 10-244a;
- Must successfully complete annual training pursuant to the Police Officer Standards and Training Council requirements and must successfully complete an annual firearm training provided by the Berlin Police Department or a certified firearms instructor that meets or exceeds the standards of the Police Officer Standards and Training Council, as well as any other training required by law or Board policy;
- Must keep all security certification and training requirements current, including but not limited to, permits, certifications and/or licenses to carry and use firearms or other weapons, on school property;
- Must participate in and pass a full background investigation which may be required by the Board or by state or federal law;
- Must meet all requirements for an armed school security guard pursuant to Connecticut law, as amended from time to time, and must meet all requirements of a qualified retired law enforcement officer pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 926C, as amended from time to time.