CT Recovery Return to JAG Home

Recovery Act
Byrne Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) Program

State JAG Program

Established to streamline justice funding and grant administration, the JAG Program allows states, tribes, and local governments to support a broad range of activities to prevent and control crime based on their own local needs and conditions.

The State must "pass-through" a pre-determined percentage of funds from the "State JAG" to local governments via another program entitled CT JAG Local Pass-Through Program (click link for more detailed information on local government eligibility)

PDF to HTML Converter OPM PowerPoint Presentation: March 26, 2009 JAG Technical Assistance Session [PDF]
2009 Recovery Act JAG Grant
Funding Allocation by Category
$20.5 million dollars
Figure 1
The Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) calculates, for each state and territory, a minimum base allocation which, based on the statutory JAG formula, can be enhanced by (1) the state’s share of the national population, and (2) the state’s share of the country’s Part 1 violent crime statistics. Once the state funding is calculated, 60 percent of the allocation is awarded to the state.  Within that 60 percent allocation to the State, the funding is then divided again, with the State retaining 60 percent (+/-) of the funds and the remaining 40 percent (+/-) provided to eligible units of local government.
NOTE:  State JAG Program funds will administered by the Office of Policy and Management.

Purpose Areas
JAG funds may be used for state and local initiatives, technical assistance, training, personnel, equipment, supplies, contractual support, and information systems for criminal justice, as well as criminal justice-related research and evaluation activities that will improve or enhance:
  • Law enforcement programs.
  • Prosecution and court programs.
  • Prevention and education programs.
  • Corrections and community corrections programs.
  • Drug treatment and enforcement programs.
  • Planning, evaluation, and technology improvement programs.
  • Crime victim and witness programs (other than compensation).
Quarterly Financial and Programmatic Reporting
Under this Recovery Act program, quarterly financial and programmatic reporting will be required, and will be due within 10 calendar days after the end of each calendar quarter, starting July 10, 2009.  The information from grantee reports will be posted on a State and Federal public website. Recovery Act grant recipients may expect that the information posted to these web sites will identify grantees that are delinquent in their reporting.
Programmatic and Financial Reporting Periods   Due Dates
October- December   January 10 
January- March   April 10
April-June   July 10 
July-September   October10 
Formal Correspondence
Certification Letters
Plans and Reports
Project Lists
  • To be posted.
Contracts for all projects receiving ARRA funds
  • No direct contracts are currently planned using these funds
Graphics/Images/Maps associated with ARRA projects
  • None
Funding Opportunities
  • Not Applicable
  • Not Applicable
For more Information Contact:

Chief Accountability Officer - Stimulus Funds

Questions from the media should go to: