GOV. MALLOY: FEMA DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JANUARY 28
Residents Impacted by Storm Sandy Have Additional Time to File for Assistance
(HARTFORD, CT) - Governor Dannel P. Malloy today announced that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has extended the deadline to register for Storm Sandy disaster assistance from December 31, 2012 to January 28, 2013.
"With more than $20 million in federal aid approved already, there is clearly a need for many residents for assistance," said Governor Malloy. "Extending this deadline will ensure that any resident or business affected by Storm Sandy has ample time to apply for assistance."
To date more than $20 million in federal disaster assistance has been approved to help Connecticut residents with disaster-related expenses:
- About 11,400 Connecticut residents in Fairfield, Middlesex, New Haven, and New London counties, the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation, and the Mohegan Tribal Nation have registered for federal disaster assistance.
- More than $9.6 million has been approved for housing assistance, including short-term rental assistance and home repair costs.
- More than $620,000 has been approved to cover other essential disaster-related needs, such as medical and dental expenses and lost personal possessions.
- More than 8,700 disaster loan applications have been issued by the United States Small Business Administration (SBA). Of that number, almost 7,000 are for home loans and about 1,800 are for businesses. More than $11.6 million in SBA loan have been approved.
Residents in Fairfield, New Haven, Middlesex, and New London counties as well as businesses across the state who suffered damage from Storm Sandy are encouraged to register with FEMA before visiting the recovery center by either calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or through
. For those with speech or hearing disabilities, the TTY number is 1-800-462-7585.
Residents seeking additional information are encouraged to download the fact sheet available at
For Immediate Release: December 23, 2012
Contact: Juliet Manalan
- Twitter: @GovMalloyOffice
- Facebook: Office of Governor Dannel P. Malloy