Disability Services

What's Next

If You Have a Disability (Requesting Accommodation)

The Department of Social Services is committed to serving the needs of the people with disabilities in Connecticut. If you ask us, we can help you fill out forms, get documentation, make medical appointments and get medical documentation to prove disability. If you cannot come into the office to complete your application, DSS can do your interview over the telephone. We also have informational materials available in alternate formats.

Road to Recovery after Brain Injury: Your GPS for Navigating CT’s Health Care System. This resource, produced by the Brain Injury Alliance of Connecticut, is for survivors of brain injury, family members, caregivers and friends. It offers information on brain injury, rehabilitation (inpatient and outpatient), home and community based services, and identifies places that can be a source of support on the journey forward. For more information or assistance, please call 1-800-278-8242.

Personal Care Assistant (PCA) Waiver

A Medicaid Waiver program that provides personal care assistance services included in a care plan to maintain adults with chronic, severe, and permanent disabilities, in the community. Without these services, the adult would otherwise require institutionalization. The care plan is developed by a Department social worker in partnership with the adult. Adults must be age 18-64 to apply, must have significant need for hands on assistance with at least two activities of daily living (eating, bathing, dressing, transferring, toileting), must lack family and community supports to meet the need, and must meet all technical, procedural and financial requirements of the Medicaid program, or the Medicaid for Employed Disabled program. Eligible adults must be able to direct their own care and supervise private household employees, or have a Conservator to do so. An adult deemed eligible for the PCA Waiver, is eligible for all Medicaid covered services. Application is made by contacting the Department's regional offices, and returning a completed PCA Waiver Request Form.