Lead Public Health Event Tips and Observations
Open House Format
- Plan with a focus on the role of public health-not health care. Concentrate on your organization’s community presence and involvement.
- Targeted your event to your community
- Foster a dialog. Encourage active participation, movement, different faces, and spontaneous interaction.
- Spread out. Find ways to make best use of your space and to prevent overcrowding.
Consider using clearly marked stations identified with posters – (Community, Environmental and Preparedness.)
- Invite volunteers and internes to work on the event.
- Reach out to different segments of the community.
- Above all else make the event fun!
Key Presentation and Activity Elements
- Introduction by dignitary
- Explain the 10 essential services of public health, and the tie-in with the Lead Public Health initiative. Include interesting and relevant examples.
- Explain the layout. Entice the crowd to stay and participate with a door prizes and contests.
- Staff should serve as guides, distribute surveys, man stations and answer questions about roles and activities
- Consider providing healthy snacks and provide an atmosphere for attendees to interact with each other.
- Create a fun carnival atmosphere
- Measure outcomes with a survey including:
- Surprise over the variety of areas a public health department touches
- New knowledge learned by audience
- Increased understanding of the public health role
- Appreciation of how tax dollars are spent
- Use door prize entries to collect names and contact information for future contact and possible involvement with your health department.
- Increased visibility in the community and reinforced call to “get the word out” about public health.
- Empowered, invigorated and motivated staff who witness first-hand interest and appreciation of their work in the community.