UniteCT Moving Assistance Program
The Moving Assistance Program provides security deposit assistance for the following three populations:
Population #1 - Tenants who were recently evicted. These tenants have either a final stay stipulation with a move out date, a judgement for possession, or an execution. These documents must be filed in the court system after August 1st 2023. Once a tenant finds a new landlord willing to work with them, they may call the Call Center at 1-844-864-8328 and schedule an appointment to get their security deposit application filled out. If the tenant has not found a new landlord, they should NOT call the Call Center because they are not yet eligible for the Moving Assistance Program.
Population #2 - Tenants who have a state or federal rental subsidy (i.e. Housing Choice Voucher, State Rental Assistance Program, “Section 8,” etc.). A tenant must have a landlord willing to accept security deposit assistance through the Moving Assistance Program. Once the tenant’s future unit passes inspection, they may call the Call Center at 1-844-864-8328 and schedule an appointment to get their security deposit application filled out.
Population #3 - Tenants who are experiencing homelessness or housing insecurity should call 211 to be referred to a HUB. Tenants must already have a landlord willing to work with the program. Once referred to a HUB, tenant can receive information about how to access security deposit assistance. To learn about which HUBs are participating in the Moving Assistance Program, click here.
• Tenants must be moving into a unit located in Connecticut.
• The household must have an annual gross income of less than 80% of the Annual Median Income (AMI).
• A tenant will be ineligible if they already paid for their security deposit. This program does not issue reimbursements.
• A tenant will be ineligible if they never move into the unit.
1. Government issued photo identification
2. Landlord Verification Form
a. A template can be found here
3. Depending on the tenant’s eligibility category:
Population 1: The stipulated agreement with a final stay, judgement for possession, or execution must be uploaded to the tenant's Judicial docket.
Population 2: HAP contract or similar document sent by the voucher issuer describing tenant’s contract rent and confirmation that unit passed inspection.
Population 3: Documentation from the HUB verifying the tenant's housing insecurity.
1. Government issued photo identification or a business license
2. Signed lease or Rental Terms Form
a. This lease must be at least 6 months. Month-to-month leases are NOT accepted.
b. The lease may include a contingency clause describing that the tenant may only move in if approved by the UniteCT Moving Assistance Program.
c. If both parties do not have a signed lease, the optional Rental Terms Form template can be found here.
3. A signed W9
a. The address on the W9 will be the address used to issue the check. Ensure this address is correct.
b. Template can be found here
4. A signed Landlord Affirmation Agreement
a. Template can be found here
• The check will be made out to the landlord and will be sent to the address listed on the landlord’s W9.
• Checks will be received within 10-15 business days of application approval.