DMHAS Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
The DMHAS Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) is the Racial Justice, Multicultural Relations and Equal Opportunity Branch of the DMHAS Office of the Commissioner (OOC). The Division of DEI at DMHAS is committed to leading and supporting initiatives that foster a welcoming, respectful, and inclusive environment for all staff and clients.
DMHAS strongly believes that diversity, equity, and inclusion at all levels of the agency is critical to the successful implementation of its mission. Our diverse workforce is our most valuable resource and the diversity of our employees is an essential source of strength. Through our collective work, we strive to enhance the experiences of staff and clients by building strong internal and external collaborations that seek to promote an inclusive culture and provide a variety of opportunities and initiatives that support our department’s overall mission and vision.
- Drive diversity through a variety of dimensions that make us unique, including but not limited to: race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, age, religion, language, disability status, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, region, country of origin, etc. DMHAS supports initiatives focused on the recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce.
- Embody equity by identifying and eliminating the barriers that prevent marginalized individuals and communities from accessing services, opportunities, or advancements whether they may be staff or clients. Through the work of the DMHAS Multicultural Advisory Council (MCAC) and the Affirmative Action Advisory Council (AAAC), DMHAS works to create a community that reflects the richness of the state and the broader society, while providing equal opportunity for all.
- Invest in inclusion by creating an environment that embraces and welcomes individuals and groups from various backgrounds so they can fully participate and feel valued, heard, seen, and respected. DMHAS offers a variety of trainings on bias, cultural competency, DEI, etc., to cultivate a culture that discourages and reduces individual and institutional bias.
The DEI Division is comprised of the following offices:
- Office of Multicultural Health Equity - Contact: Samia Hussein, MPH, Director, Samia.Hussein@ct.gov, (860) 418-6806
- Equal Employment Opportunity Office - Contact: Barbara K. Viadella, Director, Barbara.Viadella@ct.gov, (860) 262-5863
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Office - Contact: Marlene Jacques, RN, MSN, MPH, LMSW, Director, Marlene.Jacques@ct.gov, (860) 418-6974