Common Wildlife Problems

Illustration of Common Nuisance Wildlife

Dealing with Distressed Wildlife

Information on what to do if you have found an animal that appears sick, injured or orphaned.

How to Become a Wildlife Rehabilitator -- Provides information to individuals interested in becoming volunteer Wildlife Rehabilitators in Connecticut.

Nuisance Wildlife Information and Suggestions

Each year, the Wildlife Division receives several thousand calls for assistance from residents who have problems with wild animals. These conflicts typically include wild animals damaging crops, livestock, or property; wild animals posing a threat to human safety; diseased wild animals; and wild animals taking up residence in areas where they are unwanted. Information and suggestions for resolving problems are available for the following species (PDF versions of the information sheets are available where indicated):

VIDEO -- Preventing Wildlife Conflicts with Electric Fencing: Electric fencing is the most effective way to protect crops and livestock from wildlife, including black bears.

Information by species:

Birds of Prey and Livestock
Geese  PDF version of Dealing with Nuisance Canada Geese
Woodpeckers  PDF version of Dealing with Woodpecker Problems

Do Not Feed Waterfowl brochure

Do Not Feed Waterfowl Sign

Information on various Wildlife Diseases and Rabies


Professional Assistance for Nuisance Wildlife Problems

Provides information to Connecticut homeowners about how to get professional assistance from licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators (NWCOs) in solving common nuisance wildlife problems.

List of Licensed NWCOs 

How to Become a NWCO -- Provides information to individuals interested in becoming Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators in Connecticut. logo

Do you need additional help and advice concerning nuisance wildlife, particularly with species not listed here? Check out and select "Connecticut" as your state to get started. This website is supported by the Northeast Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies and the Northeast Wildlife Damage Management Cooperative. 

Deer Crop Damage Permit Program

The Deer Crop Damage Permit Program (Connecticut General Statutes 26-82) provides commercial agriculturalists with a minimum annual gross income of $2,500.00 and an actual or potential loss of this income from their cultivated agricultural crops, the opportunity to reduce damage caused by deer when the firearms deer hunting seasons are closed.

Report Dead Birds

Link to an online form to report dead birds.

Content last updated on March 31, 2022.