RFP for the Financing, Design, Construction, Operation and Maintenance of a Waste Recycling and Disposal Project
In 2014 Connecticut Governor Malloy signed Public Act 14-94, calling for the Commissioner of the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (CT-DEEP), in consultation with the Materials Innovation and Recycling Authority (MIRA, formerly Connecticut Resources Recovery Authority or CRRA) to solicit proposals for the redevelopment of the Connecticut Solid Waste System Project.
The Connecticut Solid Waste System Project includes the CSWS Resource Recovery Facility in Hartford (formerly known as MidConnecticut RRF), The MIRA/ReCommunity Materials Recovery Facility in Hartford, and transfer stations in Watertown, Torrington, Essex, and Ellington.
Through this RFP, MIRA has made available its CSWSP sites and contracted tonnages for the development of a new system, including new technologies that will assist the state in reaching its goal to divert 60% of materials from disposal by landfill or combustion. Following the selection of a final proposal, MIRA will enter into agreements with the selected developer to execute the project.
DEEP Closes Rediscovery RFP Process
- DEEP Letter to MIRA (10/15/2019)
DEEP Selects Final Proposal for Phase II of the Rediscovery RFP
On December 31, 2017, DEEP selected the Sacyr Rooney Development Team from among the three finalists for the Rediscovery RFP. More information regarding this action by DEEP is provided in the following links:
- DEEP Press Release: DEEP Announces Plan to Redevelop MIRA Facility (1/2/2018)
- Recommendations to the Commissioner on the Selection of Phase II Finalists (12/29/2017)
Public Notice, Public Meeting, and Public Comment on Request for Proposals for Phase II
- Update on the RFP to Modernize the Connecticut Solid Waste System Project. DEEP issued this November, 2017 Report to the General Assembly. The report details an ongoing RFP process to seek a developer or modernize the Connecticut Solid Waste System Project, a system of waste management facilities owned by MIRA. The issuance of this report coincides with a period of public comment on development concepts that will continue through November 24, 2017 (see following bullets).
- Notice of Proceeding, Public Meeting, and Opportunity for Public Comment (9/14/2017) Provides notice of a public meeting that was held on Thursday, September 28, 2017 to receive presentations from the three finalists for the Rediscovery RFP regarding their proposed projects. Also notes that DEEP will accept public comment on the three finalists' proposals until 4:00 p.m. on Friday, October 20, 2017.
As noted in an October 30, 2017 DEEP Press Release, this public comment period has been extended through Friday, November 24, 2017. DEEP later extended the comment period through December 8, 2017.
The following bullets provide links for the presentations given by the three finalists during the meeting on September 28, 2017, in alphabetical order:
- Presentation by Covanta.
- Presentation by Mustang Renewable Power Ventures.
- Presentation by Sacyr Rooney.
The following bullets provide links for the Executive Summary from each of the three finalists' Response to Phase II RFP, in alphabetical order:
- Response to Phase II RFP Executive Summary - Covanta.
- Response to Phase II RFP Executive Summary - Mustang Renewable Power Ventures.
- Response to Phase II RFP Executive Summary - Sacyr Rooney.
Public Comments Received in Response to Public Notice Copies of comments that were received on the three finalists' proposals in response to the Public Notice that was issued on September 14, 2017 (see above).
- Appendix K -- Contract Principles
- Addendum 1 -- Clarification to Definition Section of RFP
- Addendum 2 -- Process Diagram, As-Built Drawings, Equipment List, and Facility Layout for the MIRA Facility at 211 Murphy Road
- Addendum 3 -- Additional Information Including Copies of Contracts, Reports, and Tables Relating to MIRA Facilities
- RFP Phase II Questions and Responses (Updated as of July 13, 2017.)
- RFP Phase II Questions and Responses - Errata Sheet Regarding Question 5
- Prevailing Wage Rates from the Connecticut Department of Labor. The CT DOL issues these rates for contracts that are advertised to bid within twenty (20) days from the date that this schedule is issued under Con. Gen. Stat. Section 31-53, as amended. An update of this schedule is required beyond the twenty days of issuance.
Announcement of Selection of Phase I Finalists (9/23/2016)
This announcement identifies the three finalists that were selected from those that submitted Proposals pursuant to the RFP (see below for more information regarding the RFP). These three finalists will be invited to compete in a final selection process, expected to conclude in late 2017. DEEP may then direct the Materials Innovation and Recycling Authority (MIRA) to enter into an agreement with the selected developer.
Request For Proposals for Phase I
- CSWSP Drawings, Waste Characterization Data and Other Documents This document provides instructions on how to access an FTP site with additional information about CSWSP and its facilities that would be of interest to persons responding to the RFP.
- RFP Questions and Responses A periodically-updated list of selected questions about the RFP process and CSWSP facilities that have been raised and responses to those questions.
Pre-Proposal Conference PowerPoint Presentation (11/17/15 and 12/1/15)
- List of Contracted Towns
- Description of Municipal Contracts
- Permits and Operation and Maintenance Plans for Accepted Facilities
- DEEP Solid Waste Management Plan
- Information on 2006 Solid Waste Management Plan RevisionsMIRA web page
- RFP Listserv
Would you like to receive additional information and updates about the RFP? Sign up to be on the RFP listserv. See instructions below for how to sign up.
To subscribe to the Listserv:
- Compose an email to email@example.com from the email address you wish to have added.
- Leave the subject line blank and in the body of the message type:
Subscribe DEEP_ResourceRediscovery YourFirstName YourLastName
(Substitute your first and last name)
Note: If you have an e-mail signature, header, and/or footer set up to be automatically included in emails, you will need to delete these before sending the subscribe request.
- You will receive an e-mail confirmation request. Follow the directions to confirm your email address.
- You will then receive an e-mail that you have successfully subscribed to the listserv.
- Compose an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
To unsubscribe from the Listserv:
- Leave the subject line blank and in the body of the message type:
- You will receive an e-mail confirmation that you have successfully unsubscribed from the listserv.
- Requests to unsubscribe must be sent from the same email account used when subscribing to the email list.
If you experience difficulty in subscribing to the RFP Listserv, please send us an e-mail.
If you have questions about the RFP or the supporting information, please send us an e-mail.
Content Last Updated February 6, 2020