Plan Your Visit
* Old New-Gate is CLOSED for the season and will re-open in May, 2024.
- Adults (17 - 59 yrs.)
- Seniors (60 & Older)
- All Veterans
- Youth (6 - 17 yrs.)
- Students (College with ID)
- Teachers (with ID)
- Children (5 & Younger)
- Active Military & Family (Blue Star Program)
Location: 115 Newgate Rd. East Granby, CT 06026
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 230 East Granby, CT 06026
- Located outside of the prison yard and visitor center.
- Picnic tables available (we do not regularly clean these tables).
- Please remove your trash from the site.
- Beautiful view all year round.
- Available for public use at all time with no fee.
- Gift Shop and Restrooms.Visitors start here.
- Admissions can be purchased at the front desk.
- Above ground portion of the site.
- Open for guided tours and self-exploration.
- Includes the prison ruins, guardhouse, and cells.
- Exhibits are housed in the guardhouse.
- Take a virtual tour of the prison yard.
- For the month of October, visitors can only explore the mine with advanced tickets to "Light into the Dungeon," the experience is self-guides, but museum staff will be available to assist and answer questions.
- There are 33 steps down to the mining landing which is 35 feet below ground.
- Visitors are led around a 100 yard loop descending to as low as 75 feet below ground.
- The shortest tunnel is 4 feet high.
- The mine is consistently 52 degrees, wet, and dimly lit.
- We ask that visitors consider their medical history and physical limitations before descending
to the mine.
- Strollers, wheelchairs, walkers, and similar devices are not permitted.
- Closed toed shoes are required.
- Take a virtual tour of the Mine.
Learn more about the museum and the surrounding area at CTvisit.com.