About Careers in the Trades
- Review our informational guide.
- Complete all your required courses for high school graduation or your GED.
- Register as an Apprentice with the Connecticut Department of Labor Apprentice Training Division. Visit: www.ctapprenticeship.com or call: (860) 263-6085.
- Complete your occupational courses at one of the many public and private technical schools, which have day and evening hours for apprenticeship and extension courses. The Connecticut Technical High School System website is: www.cttech.org.
- Take your professional licensing exam. PSI Examination Services administers all exams for careers in the construction trades through a contract with the Department of Consumer Protection. Visit PSI at www.psiexams.com or call (800) 733-9267.
- Read the Connecticut Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management, available for purchase at www.nascla.org (required text for State contractors examination).
- MILITARY TRAINING EVALUATION
If you have been or are a "service member". Which means a member of the armed forces or the National Guard or a veteran, please contact the Connecticut Department of Labor, Office of Apprenticeship Training and request a military training evaluation, for on the job training and school related instruction credit towards the type of license you are applying for, prior to sending in an application for licensure.
Phone: (860) 263-6128 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web site: www.ctapprenticeship.com
- Make all necessary regulations for the practice and standards of occupations to preserve the public safety and welfare
- Establish the amount and type of experience and training required to qualify for a license
- Determine the specific area of trade for which limited licenses shall be issued and areas for which no license is required.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.