Major Contractor Registration
Any person or business engaged in the construction, structural repair, structural alteration, dismantling or demolition of a structure or addition that exceeds any of the following threshold limits.
Threshold Limits: Any building with at least one of the following characteristics is a “threshold” building:
- 4 stories
- 60 feet in height
- Clear span of 150 feet in width
- Contains 150,000 square feet of gross floor area
- Has an occupancy of 1,000 people
Examples – schools, apartment and office buildings, malls, hospitals
Additional threshold limits exist for special use groups like Institutional (i.e. jails, asylums), Residential, (i.e. hotels, multi-family), and Storage (i.e. parking structures).
All threshold regulations can be found at - Chapter 541 - Building, Fire and Demolition Codes. Fire Marshals and Fire Hazards. Safety of Public and Other Structures
Major Contracting includes:
Subcontractors, under the direction of a general contractor, perform or offer to perform any work that impacts upon the structural integrity of a structure or addition, including repair, alteration, dismantling or demolition of a structure or addition that exceeds the threshold limits.
Work includes, but is not limited to, roofing, masonry and structural framework.
Major contracting does not include:
- Work done on small commercial buildings (below threshold limits listed above)
- Building new homes (see New Home Construction Contractor)
- Any work on residential property (see Home Improvement Contractor)
- Work that does not impact the structural integrity of the building like painting
- Work that is covered under the scope of a trade license
Legal entities (both in-state and out-of-state) must register their business with the CT Secretary of State’s Office prior to applying.
An applicant for a Major Contractor Registration is required to submit two credit references. One must come from the trade industry (supplier or subcontractor) and one from a financial institution.
The forms below may be used in lieu of a traditional credit reference letter and attached to a paper application or uploaded with an online application:
- Major Contractor Registration – Financial Institution Credit Reference
- Major Contractor Registration – Industry Credit Reference
Renewal:All Major Contractor registrations expire annually on June 30th. Renewal fee: $500.00