To protect the health and safety of the public and our employees, DCP employees will no longer be at 450 Columbus Blvd. Please do not send mail. We recommend using our online services, or sending an email to the appropriate division/person instead. Phone lines will have limited support, and voicemails will be returned when possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Movers and Moving

In-state movers are regulated by the Department of Transportation. 

Out of state movers (across Connecticut borders) are regulated by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
  • Movers and auto transporters must be registered under the "federal unified carrier registration system" with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
  • There is a 6 digit “MC Docket” number for movers and auto transporters
  • Auto transporters also have a 7 digit “USDOT” number
  • Movers must also have the Household Goods Carrier Certificate or Motor Contract Carrier permit issued by the Connecticut Department of Transportation (and corresponding registration number)
  • Under federal law, an out-of-state mover must present you with a copy of the booklet, Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move
  • Movers and auto transporters must provide a bill of lading after your belongings loaded on the truck

Additional information about planning a move can be found at