Jatinder S. Aulakh
The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station
153 Cook Hill Road
Windsor, CT 06095
Voice: (860) 683-4984 Fax: (860) 683-4987
Biology, ecology, and management of non-native invasive plants and weeds in row crops (corn, cotton, soybean, and grain sorghum), pastures, ornamental nurseries, landscapes, Christmas tree plantations, and non-crop areas. Quantification of pollen-mediated gene transfer from herbicide-resistant crops to weeds. Outreach and extension activities include research plot demonstration, workshops, seminars, field days, problem solving such as herbicide injury, weed identification, weed control advisory services, early detection surveys and mapping of non-native invasive plants.
Ph.D. Auburn University (2013); Weed Science
M.S. Punjab Agricultural University, India (2005); Agronomy
B.S. Punjab Agricultural University, India (2001); Agriculture
Started as Assistant Scientist at the Valley Laboratory in Windsor in 2015
Seeking biological, chemical, and cultural control methods based on weed biology and ecology for the management of non-native invasive plants and weeds in ornamental nurseries and Christmas tree plantations. Other areas of weed research include pastures and hayfields, organic production systems, cover crops and crop rotations, evaluating new products for ornamental plant safety and weed control efficacy.
Selected publications available from author,Jatinder.Aulakh@ct.gov
- Duzy, L. M, A. J. Price, K. S. Balckom and J. S. Aulakh. 2016. Assessing the Economic Impact of Inversion Tillage, Cover Crops, and Herbicide Regimes Influence of Inversion Tillage, Cover Crops and Herbicide Regimes in Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) Infested Cotton. International Journal of Agronomy.
- Aulakh J. S., P. S Chahal, and A. J. Jhala. 2016. Glyphosate-resistant weed control and soybean injury in response to different PPO-inhibiting herbicides. Journal of Agricultural Science. 8: http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/jas.v8n2p1
- Kaur, S., J. S. Aulakh, and A. J. Jhala. 2016. Growth and seed production of glyphosate-resistant giant ragweed (Ambrosia trifida L.) in response to water stress. Can. Journal Plant Sci (In Press)
- Chahal, P. S., J. S. Aulakh, K. Rosenbaum, and A. J. Jhala. 2015. Growth stage affects dose response of selected glyphosate-resistant weeds to premix of 2, 4-D choline and glyphosate (Enlist Duo™ Herbicide*). Journal of Agricultural Science 7: 1-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/jas.v7n11p1
- Aulakh J. S., M. Saini, A.J. Price*, W.H. Faircloth, E. van Santen, G.R. Wehtje, and J.A. Kelton. 2015. Herbicide and rye cover crop residue integration affect weed control and yield in strip-tillage peanut. Peanut Science. 42: 30-38. http://dx.doi.org/10.3146/PS14-13.1
- Aulakh J. S., and A. J. Jhala. 2015. Comparison of glufosinate-based herbicide programs for broad-spectrum weed control in glufosinate-resistant soybean. Weed Technol. 29:419–430.
- Sarangi, D, L. D. Sandell, S. Z. Knezevic, J. S. Aulakh, J. L. Lindquist, S. Irmak, and A. J. Jhala. 2015. Confirmation and Control of Glyphosate-Resistant Common Waterhemp (Amaranthus rudis) in Nebraska. Weed Technol 29:82–92. doi/pdf/10.1614/WTD-14-00090.1
- Aulakh, J.S, S.F. Enloe, N. J. Loewenstein, A.J. Price, G. Wehtje and James H. Miller. 2014. Pushing towards cogongrass patch eradication: The influence of herbicide treatment and application timing on cogongrass rhizome elimination. Invasive Plant Science and Management.
- Aulakh, J. S, A. J. Price, S. F. Enloe, G. and M. Patterson. 2013. Integrated Palmer amaranth management in glufosinate –resistant cotton: II. Primary, secondary and conservation tillage. Agronomy. Agronomy3: 28-42; doi: 103390/agronomy3010028.
- Enloe, S. F, W. N. Kline, J. S. Aulakh, R. K. Bethke, J. B. Gladney and D. K. Lauer. 2012. Macartney rose (Rosa bracteata) response to herbicide and mowing treatments. Invasive Plant Science and Management 6: 260-267.
- Aulakh, J. S, A. J. Price, S. F. Enloe, Wehtje, E.van Santen and M. Patterson. 2012. Integrated Palmer Amaranth Management in Glufosinate-Resistant Cotton: I. Tillage System, High-Residue Cover Crops and Herbicide Regimes. Agronomy 2: 295-311; doi:103390/agronomy2040295.
- Enloe, S. F, J. Belcher, N. Lowenstein, J. S. Aulakh and E.van Santen. 2012. Cogongrass Control with Aminocyclopyrachlor in Pastures. Forage and grazing lands. Doi: 10.1094/FG-2012-0828-02-RS.
- Enloe, S. F, H. Dorough, J. T. Ducar and J. S. Aulakh. 2012. Little Barley Control with Herbicides in Dormant Bermudagrass Hayfields. Forage and grazing lands. Doi: 10.1094/FG-2012-0828-01-RS.
- Aulakh, J. S., A. J. Price, and K.S. Balkcom. 2011. Weed management and cotton yield under two row spacings, conventional and conservation tillage systems utilizing conventional, glufosinate-, and glyphosate-based weed management systems. Weed Technol. 25:542-547.
- Aulakh J. S, and K. K. Vashist 2007. Growth, Yield Attributes, and Seed Yield of Summer Greenbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] as Influenced by Various Planting Dates and Irrigation Schedules. Indian J. Ecol 34: 158–160.
- Aulakh J. S, and K. K. Vashist 2007. Influence of Different Sowing Dates and Irrigation Schedules on Consumptive Water Use, Moisture Use Efficiency, Productivity and Quality Parameters in Summer Greenbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. J. Plant Sci. Res. 23: 73–77.
- Chahal, P. S., J. S. Aulakh, M. Jugulam, and A. J. Jhala. 2016. Herbicide-Resistant Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri S. Wats.) in the United States—Mechanisms of Resistance, Impact, and Management. In Agricultural and Biological Sciences "Herbicides, Agronomic Crops and Weed Biology", book edited by Andrew Price, Jessica Kelton and Lina Sarunaite, ISBN 978-953-51-2218-0, Published: November 26, 2015