Jatinder S. Aulakh
The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station
153 Cook Hill Road
Windsor, CT 06095
Voice: (860) 683-4984 Fax: (860) 683-4987
Biology, ecology, and management of non-native invasive plants and weeds in row crops (corn, cotton, soybean, and grain sorghum), pastures, ornamental nurseries, landscapes, Christmas tree plantations, and non-crop areas. Quantification of pollen-mediated gene transfer from herbicide-resistant crops to weeds. Outreach and extension activities include research plot demonstration, workshops, seminars, field days, problem solving such as herbicide injury, weed identification, weed control advisory services, early detection surveys and mapping of non-native invasive plants.
Ph.D. Auburn University (2013); Weed Science
M.S. Punjab Agricultural University, India (2005); Agronomy
B.S. Punjab Agricultural University, India (2001); Agriculture
Started as Assistant Scientist at the Valley Laboratory in Windsor in 2015
Seeking biological, chemical, and cultural control methods based on weed biology and ecology for the management of non-native invasive plants and weeds in ornamental nurseries and Christmas tree plantations. Other areas of weed research include pastures and hayfields, organic production systems, cover crops and crop rotations, evaluating new products for ornamental plant safety and weed control efficacy.
Selected publications available from author, Jatinder.Aulakh@ct.gov
- Bulletin 1076 (2021) Common Herbicides for Weed Control in Woody and Herbaceous Ornamentals. Aulakh, J. S.
- Bulletin 1070 (2021) Stonecrops (Sedum ssp.) Tolerance to Gemini G (Isoxaben plus Prodiamine) and Basagran T&O (Bentazon) Herbicides. Aulakh, J. S.
- Aulakh J. S., Parminder S. Chahal, Vipan Kumar, Andrew J. Price, and Karl Guillard. 2021. Multiple Herbicide-Resistant Palmer Amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) in Connecticut: Confirmation and Response to POST Herbicide Invasive Plant Science and Management. Available online. Weed Technology Journal. https://doi.org/10.1017/wet.2021.6
- Bulletin 1068 (2020) Evaluation of Herbicides and Application Rates for Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris L.) Management in Cool Season Forage Grasses. Aulakh, J. S.
- Aulakh J. S. 2020. Role of nitrogen and herbicides in integrated management of mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) in cool-season forage grasses. Invasive Plant Science and Management. Available online at: DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/inp.2020.19
- Aulakh J. S. 2020. Weed control efficacy and tolerance of Canaan fir to preemergence herbicides. Weed Technol. 34:208–213
- Bulletin 1064 (2020) Comparison of preemergence herbicide treatments for weed control in Canaan fir (Abies balsamea var. phanerolepis). Aulakh, J. S.
- Duzy, L. M, A. J. Price, K. S. Balckom and J. S. Aulakh. 2016. Assessing the Economic Impact of Inversion Tillage, Cover Crops, and Herbicide Regimes Influence of Inversion Tillage, Cover Crops and Herbicide Regimes in Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) Infested Cotton. International Journal of Agronomy.
- Aulakh J. S., P. S Chahal, and A. J. Jhala. 2016. Glyphosate-resistant weed control and soybean injury in response to different PPO-inhibiting herbicides. Journal of Agricultural Science. 8: http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/jas.v8n2p1
- Kaur, S., J. S. Aulakh, and A. J. Jhala. 2016. Growth and seed production of glyphosate-resistant giant ragweed (Ambrosia trifida L.) in response to water stress. Can. Journal Plant Sci (In Press)
- Chahal, P. S., J. S. Aulakh, K. Rosenbaum, and A. J. Jhala. 2015. Growth stage affects dose response of selected glyphosate-resistant weeds to premix of 2, 4-D choline and glyphosate (Enlist Duo™ Herbicide*). Journal of Agricultural Science 7: 1-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/jas.v7n11p1
- Aulakh J. S., M. Saini, A.J. Price*, W.H. Faircloth, E. van Santen, G.R. Wehtje, and J.A. Kelton. 2015. Herbicide and rye cover crop residue integration affect weed control and yield in strip-tillage peanut. Peanut Science. 42: 30-38. http://dx.doi.org/10.3146/PS14-13.1
- Aulakh J. S., and A. J. Jhala. 2015. Comparison of glufosinate-based herbicide programs for broad-spectrum weed control in glufosinate-resistant soybean. Weed Technol. 29:419–430.
- Sarangi, D, L. D. Sandell, S. Z. Knezevic, J. S. Aulakh, J. L. Lindquist, S. Irmak, and A. J. Jhala. 2015. Confirmation and Control of Glyphosate-Resistant Common Waterhemp (Amaranthus rudis) in Nebraska. Weed Technol 29:82–92. https://doi.org/10.1614/WT-D-14-00090.1
- Aulakh, J. S., S. F. Enloe, N. J. Loewenstein, A.J. Price, G. Wehtje and James H. Miller. 2014. Pushing towards cogongrass patch eradication: The influence of herbicide treatment and application timing on cogongrass rhizome elimination. Invasive Plant Science and Management.
- Aulakh, J. S, A. J. Price, S. F. Enloe, G. and M. Patterson. 2013. Integrated Palmer amaranth management in glufosinate –resistant cotton: II. Primary, secondary and conservation tillage. Agronomy. Agronomy3: 28-42; doi: 103390/agronomy3010028.
- Enloe, S. F, W. N. Kline, J. S. Aulakh, R. K. Bethke, J. B. Gladney and D. K. Lauer. 2012. Macartney rose (Rosa bracteata) response to herbicide and mowing treatments. Invasive Plant Science and Management 6: 260-267.
- Aulakh, J. S, A. J. Price, S. F. Enloe, Wehtje, E.van Santen and M. Patterson. 2012. Integrated Palmer Amaranth Management in Glufosinate-Resistant Cotton: I. Tillage System, High-Residue Cover Crops and Herbicide Regimes. Agronomy 2: 295-311; doi:103390/agronomy2040295.
- Enloe, S. F, J. Belcher, N. Lowenstein, J. S. Aulakh and E.van Santen. 2012. Cogongrass Control with Aminocyclopyrachlor in Pastures. Forage and grazing lands. Doi: 10.1094/FG-2012-0828-02-RS.
- Enloe, S. F, H. Dorough, J. T. Ducar and J. S. Aulakh. 2012. Little Barley Control with Herbicides in Dormant Bermudagrass Hayfields. Forage and grazing lands. Doi: 10.1094/FG-2012-0828-01-RS.
- Aulakh, J. S., A. J. Price, and K.S. Balkcom. 2011. Weed management and cotton yield under two row spacings, conventional and conservation tillage systems utilizing conventional, glufosinate-, and glyphosate-based weed management systems. Weed Technol. 25:542-547.
- Aulakh J. S, and K. K. Vashist 2007. Growth, Yield Attributes, and Seed Yield of Summer Greenbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] as Influenced by Various Planting Dates and Irrigation Schedules. Indian J. Ecol 34: 158–160.
- Aulakh J. S, and K. K. Vashist 2007. Influence of Different Sowing Dates and Irrigation Schedules on Consumptive Water Use, Moisture Use Efficiency, Productivity and Quality Parameters in Summer Greenbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. J. Plant Sci. Res. 23: 73–77.
- Chahal, P. S., J. S. Aulakh, M. Jugulam, and A. J. Jhala. 2016. Herbicide-Resistant Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri S. Wats.) in the United States—Mechanisms of Resistance, Impact, and Management. In Agricultural and Biological Sciences "Herbicides, Agronomic Crops and Weed Biology", book edited by Andrew Price, Jessica Kelton and Lina Sarunaite, ISBN 978-953-51-2218-0, Published: November 26, 2015
- Palmer Amaranth https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CAES/DOCUMENTS/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Palmer-Amaranth.pdf
- Horsenettle (Solanum carolinese L.)- Identification and Management in Connecticut Pastures and Rangelands https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CAES/DOCUMENTS/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Valley_Laboratory/HorsenettleFactsheetpdf.pdf
- Herbicides for Pre-emergence Weed Control in Christmas Treeshttps://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CAES/DOCUMENTS/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Valley_Laboratory/HerbicidesforPreemergenceWeedControlinChristmasTreespdf.pdf
- Optimizing Preemergence Weed Control in Christmas Tree Plantations https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CAES/DOCUMENTS/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Valley_Laboratory/ChristmasTreeWeedControlFactsheetFinal002002pdf.pdf
- Woody Vines - Identification and Control https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CAES/DOCUMENTS/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Valley_Laboratory/WoodyVinesIdentificationandControlpdf.pdf
- Giant Hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) Identification and Management https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CAES/DOCUMENTS/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Valley_Laboratory/Giant-Hogweed-Heracleum-mantegazzianum-Identification-and-Management.pdf
- Lesser Celandine (Ficaria verna Huds.) Identification and Management https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CAES/DOCUMENTS/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Valley_Laboratory/Lesser-celandine_Factsheet.pdf
- Phragmites-Distinguishing the Native from the Non-native https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CAES/DOCUMENTS/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Plant_Pathology_and_Ecology/PhragmitesFactsheetpdf.pdf
- Yellow Nutsedge (Cyperus esculentus) Control in Home Lawns With Cool Season Turfgrasses https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CAES/DOCUMENTS/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Valley_Laboratory/YellowNutsedgeControlFactsheet3rhpdf.pdf
- Weed and Sucker Management in Hops https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CAES/DOCUMENTS/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Valley_Laboratory/HOPS-Weed-control.pdf
- Crabgrass (Digitaria spp.) Control in Home Lawns https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CAES/DOCUMENTS/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Valley_Laboratory/CrabgrassControlFactsheetpdf.pdf
- Weeds of Ornamentals Plants and their Control https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/CAES/DOCUMENTS/Publications/Fact_Sheets/Valley_Laboratory/WEEDS-OF-ORNAMENTAL-PLANTS-AND-THEIR-CONTROL.pdf