SOTS Official Seal

Connecticut Secretary of The State Fact Sheet for First Time Voters

Am I eligible to vote in CT?

  • Are you at least 17 and turning 18 on or before Election Day?

  • Are you a United States Citizen and a bona fide resident of some town in Connecticut?

  • If you have been convicted of a felony, have you completed confinement?

    Please note that if your conviction involved a violation of election law, then you should check with the Division of Criminal Justice before you attempt to register.

If you can answer YES to all three of these questions, you are eligible to vote in CT

How do I register to vote in CT?

There are two different ways you can register to vote in CT.  You are able to register online if you have a CT DMV ID, otherwise you are able to complete a paper registration card and deliver it to your local Registrar of Voters before the registration deadlines. CT also has Election Day Registration available. Visit, for more info.

What is an acceptable form of identification for voting?

Photo Identification is not required.  For most voters, your identification must fit one of the following requirements for it to be accepted as a valid form of ID at the  polls:

  • name and address, or name and signature, or, name and photograph

However, for voters who are voting for the first time in a municipality, and lacked proper identification when registering, some additional types of identification may be required. Contact your local registrar of voters’ office or visit, for more information on ID requirements.

Important Connecticut Election Dates and Deadlines


What should I expect the first time I vote?

You should first visit to use the voter registration look up tool and polling place locator to verify that you are registered to vote and you know the location of your polling place.  The first time you check in at your polling place, you will need to present the proper identification to vote.  Polls are open 6am until 8pm and if a voter is in line at 8pm, that voter has the right to cast a ballot.  However, if an individual is in line at 8pm to register to vote as part of Election Day Registration, that person is not eligible because polls have closed.  Visit, or contact your local Registrar of Voters for more information.

Can I vote in a Primary?

In order to vote in a Primary in Connecticut, both major parties require that you become a party member before allowing you to vote.  Visit, for more info.

My circumstances make it difficult to appear at the polling place.  Can I vote with absentee ballot?

Any citizen has the right to cast their vote by absentee ballot if they meet one of the following reasons: You are an active member of the armed forces of the US; you will be out of town during all hours of voting on election day; your illness prevents you from voting in person on election day; your religious beliefs prevent you from voting on election day; you are preforming duties as an election official at a polling location other than your own; you have a physical disability that prevents you from voting in person on election day.  Visit, for more information and links to the application.

What happens if I miss one of the registration deadlines, can I still register and vote on the day of the election? (Election Day Registration)

You may register and vote in person on Election Day if you meet the eligibility requirements for voting in this state and you are not already registered, OR you are registered in one town and want to change your registration because you currently reside in another town.  Election Day Registration is not available at your polling place.  Contact your local registrar of voter’s office for information about your town’s designated EDR location and ID requirements.  You will need to provide proof of identity and residency.  Visit, for more info.

For links and more detailed information please visit



This material is designed to provide basic information to the voters of Connecticut and is not meant to be a comprehensive review of Connecticut election law.  Please contact the Secretary of the State at (860) 509-6100 if you have specific questions, concerns or complaints.