STATE OF CONNECTICUT
SOCIAL EQUITY COUNCIL
Special Meeting of the Policy Committee
September 1, 2021
11 A.M. – Noon
Location: Microsoft TEAMS
- Call to order
- Introduction of Committee Members and other Attendees
- Policy Committee Responsibilities and Timeline
- Immediate Items to Address
- Discussion of RFP for Social Equity Study and Proposed Recommendations
- Next Steps
1. Call to order
Ed Shirley, chair of the committee, called the meeting to order.
2. Introduction of Committee Members and other Attendees
• Subira Gordon
• Michael Jefferson
• Ojala Naeem
• Ed Shirley (chair)
• Joe Williams
Staff attending: Ginne-Rae Clay, ED, Social Equity Council and Andréa Comer, chair of the Social Equity Council
3. Policy Committee Responsibilities and Timeline
Chair, Ed Shirley reviewed the charge to the committee:
“The policy committee shall develop recommendations regarding the substance of Council programs. In the short term, the committee will recommend criteria for the social equity study RFP, and may also develop compliance guidance regarding business structure for social equity ownership and managerial control.”
4. Immediate Items to Address
Andréa Comer shared the timeline for the SEC .
5. Discussion of RFP for Social Equity Study and Proposed Recommendations
Discussion about the RFP ensued. There was agreement that the RFP draft covers the requirements and concerns well.
Ed Shirley asked for a motion that the committee recommend the RFP draft as written and recommend to the council that Joe Williams made the motion, Ojala Naeem seconded, and the motion passed unanimously.
6. Next Steps
Joe Williams expressed concern about keeping to the timeline and asked if the full council will meet again outside of the full meeting schedule in September, to stay on the timeline. Andrea Comer stated that the next meeting will be on 9/7, but there will likely be other meetings depending on how that meeting goes.
Ojala Naeem made a motion to adjourn, Joe Williams seconded, and the meeting was adjourned.