This information is not current and is being provided for reference purposes only

IP 2005(25)

Personal Taxes

This publication has been superseded by IP 2006(17)

Purpose: This Informational Publication includes information on the income and alternative minimum taxes, admissions and dues tax, and sales and use taxes, as well as succession, estate, gift, real estate conveyance, alcoholic beverages, cigarette, motor vehicle fuels, and property taxes.  While it does not answer every question about Connecticut taxes, it provides answers to some of the most common inquiries.

Income Tax

The Connecticut income tax applies to Connecticut residents, part-year residents, and nonresidents with income from Connecticut sources. (See the Connecticut income tax instruction booklets to determine your residency status.) The tax is computed on your Connecticut taxable income.

To compute your Connecticut taxable income, subtract your Connecticut personal exemption from your Connecticut adjusted gross income.  If your Connecticut adjusted gross income is less than or equal to the maximum exemption amount for your filing status, you do not owe any Connecticut income tax.

Personal Exemptions: The maximum personal exemption level for single filers is being increased annually until taxable year 2012.  Following are the changes for taxable years 2005 through 2012: 

Taxable Year

Maximum Personal Exemption

$1,000 Reduction in Exemption for

Every $1,000 of CT AGI Over

January 1, 2005

January 1, 2006



January 1, 2007



January 1, 2008



January 1, 2009



January 1, 2010



January 1, 2011



January 1, 2012



The maximum personal exemption levels for married filing separately filers, head of household filers, and married filing jointly filers remain unchanged. 

Filing Status

Maximum Personal Exemption


$1,000 Reduction in Exemption for Every $1,000 of CT AGI Over

Married filing separately



Filing Status

Maximum Personal Exemption

$1,000 Reduction in Exemption for Every $1,000 of CT AGI Over

Head of household



Filing Status

Maximum Personal Exemption

$1,000 Reduction in Exemption for Every $1,000 of CT AGI Over

Married filing jointly



Tax rate: The tax rate is 3% on the first:

  • $10,000 of Connecticut taxable income for single filers and married taxpayers filing separately;

  • $16,000 of Connecticut taxable income for head of household filers; and

  • $20,000 of Connecticut taxable income for married taxpayers filing jointly.

The remaining income is taxed at 5%.

Property Tax Credit: A property tax credit is also available to resident individuals for property taxes paid to a Connecticut political subdivision on a primary residence or a motor vehicle, or both.  Generally, this credit is allowed for property tax bills first becoming due during a taxable year and paid during the taxable year.

The maximum property tax credit is $350 per return for the 2005 taxable year.  Depending on the amount of property taxes you paid to a Connecticut municipality and your Connecticut adjusted gross income, the property tax credit may be reduced or you may not be eligible for a credit.  See Informational Publication 2004(10)Q & A on Income Tax Credit for Property Taxes Paid to Connecticut Political Subdivisions, for more information.

Credit for Income Taxes Paid to a Qualifying Jurisdiction: If you are a resident of Connecticut and if any part of your income was taxed by a qualifying jurisdiction, you may be able to claim a credit against your Connecticut income tax liability for qualifying income tax payments you have made.  See the current year instruction booklet for Form CT-1040Connecticut Resident Income Tax Return, for more information.

Estimated Payments: Employers withhold Connecticut income tax from the wages of residents and nonresidents who work in Connecticut. You must make estimated Connecticut income tax payments if your Connecticut income tax (after tax credits) minus Connecticut income tax withheld is $1000 or more, and you expect your Connecticut income tax withheld to be less than your required annual payment. Estimated payments are generally made in four equal installments: April 15, June 15, September 15, and January 15. If your income varies throughout the year, however, you may be able to reduce or eliminate the amount of one or more estimated payments by using the annualized installment method. See Informational Publication 2004(18), Estimated Connecticut Income Taxes, and Informational Publication 2004(17)Guide to Calculating Your Annualized Estimated Income Tax Installments and Worksheet CT-1040AES.

Your Connecticut income tax return is due on or before the fifteenth day of the fourth month following the end of your taxable year (April 15 if your taxable year is the calendar year).

Alternative Minimum Tax

The Connecticut alternative minimum tax is a tax imposed on certain individuals, estates, and trusts in addition to the regular Connecticut income tax.  Taxpayers who are subject to and required to pay the federal alternative minimum tax are subject to the Connecticut alternative minimum tax.

The Connecticut alternative minimum tax is the lesser of:

  • 19% of your adjusted federal alternative minimum tax; or

  • 5.5% of your adjusted federal alternative minimum taxable income.

The tax must be reported on Form CT-6251Connecticut Alternative Minimum Tax Return — Individual. See Informational Publication 2001(9)Q & A: The Connecticut Alternative Minimum Tax.

Succession Tax

The Connecticut succession tax has been repealed for estates of decedents dying after December 31, 2004.

Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax

The Connecticut generation-skipping transfer tax does not apply to generation-skipping transfers after December 31, 2004. 

Estate Tax

For estates of decedents dying before January 1, 2005: Visit the DRS Web site for more information.

For estates of decedents dying on or after January 1, 2005: Resident and nonresident estates are now liable for the Connecticut estate tax if the amount of the Connecticut taxable estate is more than $2 million. A resident estate is an estate of a decedent who at the time of death was domiciled in Connecticut. 

The Connecticut taxable estate is the sum of:

  • The total value of the decedent’s federal gross estate, less allowable deductions (other than the deduction for state death taxes paid under Section 2058 of the Internal Revenue Code); and

  • The aggregate amount of Connecticut taxable gifts made by the decedent (during his or her lifetime) during all calendar years beginning on or after January 1, 2005.

If the sum exceeds $2 million, Connecticut estate tax is payable on the sum (including the first $2 million). These estates must file Form CT-706/709Connecticut Estate and Gift Tax Return, with the Department of Revenue Services.  A copy of Form CT-706/709 must also be filed with the appropriate Connecticut probate court.

If the sum is $2 million or less, Connecticut estate and gift tax is not due. However, estates must file Form CT-706 NTConnecticut Estate Tax Return (For Nontaxable Estates),with the Connecticut probate court for the district in which the decedent resided at the date of death; or, if the decedent died as a nonresident of Connecticut, with the Connecticut probate court for the district in which the decedent’s real property or tangible personal property is located.

See Special Notice 2005(10)2005 Legislation Amending the Connecticut Gift Tax and the Connecticut Estate Tax, and Repealing the Succession Tax, and Informational Publication 2005(19)Q&A on the Succession, Estate, Gift, and Generation-Skipping Transfer Taxes

Gift Tax

If you made a gift, you may be required to file federal Form 709, United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return, and Form CT-706/709Connecticut Estate and Gift Tax Return.

Legislation enacted in 2005: The Connecticut gift tax continues to apply to Connecticut taxable gifts, which are federal taxable gifts made by a resident or nonresident of Connecticut on or after January 1, 2005:

  • For a donor who is a Connecticut resident, the taxable gifts include real property or tangible personal property located in Connecticut, as well as intangible personal property wherever located; and

  • For a donor who is a nonresident of Connecticut, the taxable gifts include only real property or tangible personal property located in Connecticut.

A Connecticut gift tax return must be filed to report all Connecticut taxable gifts made in any calendar year on or after January 1, 2005, even though Connecticut gift tax may not be due. For calendar years beginning January 1, 2005, Connecticut gift tax is payable only when the aggregate amount of all Connecticut taxable gifts made by the donor (during his or her lifetime), on or after January 1, 2005, exceeds $2 million.  Once the $2 million threshold is exceeded, Connecticut gift tax is payable on the aggregate amount of Connecticut taxable gifts, including the first $2 million.

See Special Notice 2005(10)2005 Legislation Amending the Connecticut Gift Tax and the Connecticut Estate Tax, and Repealing the Succession Tax, and Informational Publication 2005(19)Q&A on the Succession, Estate, Gift, and Generation-Skipping Transfer Taxes.

Local Real Estate and Personal Property Taxes

Real estate and personal property are subject to this tax, with some statutory exemptions. Communities levy property tax to fund local government. Neither the state nor its counties levy a property tax. For further information about local real estate and personal property taxes, contact the assessor in the city or town where the property is located, write to the Intergovernmental Policy Division, Office of Policy and Management, 450 Capitol Avenue, Mail Stop 54 FOR, Hartford CT 06106-1308, or visit the Office of Policy and Management Web site

October 1 is the assessment date for all municipalities. All owners of personal property, other than registered motor vehicles, must file a declaration with the assessor on or before November 1.

Homeowner/Renter Tax Credit: An annual property tax credit or rent rebate is available to residents, age 65 or older, or to a surviving spouse, age 50 or older, who meet certain residence and income requirements.  Regardless of age, a totally and permanently disabled person is also eligible. Contact the assessor in your town or city for details and forms.

Veteran Exemption: A variable, annual tax exemption on the assessed value of an owner-occupied dwelling or on a motor vehicle is available to any qualified veteran or surviving spouse.  Contact the assessor in your town or city for details and forms. 

Real Estate Conveyance Tax

A state and municipal real estate conveyance tax is imposed on deeds conveying real estate where the consideration for the interest in property equals or exceeds $2,000. A deed for less than $2,000 in consideration is exempt from this tax, but may be subject to the gift tax.  A deed of the principal residence of any person receiving property tax benefits for the elderly is exempt from the state tax but subject to the municipal tax. The state tax rate on the consideration received for the real estate is as follows: 

Type of real estate


Unimproved land


Residential property(otherthan residential dwelling)


Nonresidential property(otherthan unimproved land)


Residential dwelling(portionnot exceeding $800,000)


Residential dwelling(portionexceeding $800,000)


Property conveyed by adelinquent mortgagor*


*  If mortgage payments are more than six months delinquent and property is conveyed to a financial institution.

Those conveying the property pay the state and municipal taxes.  The grantor/seller must present a separate check to the town clerk, payable to the Commissioner of Revenue Services, in payment of the state tax when recording the deed. 

Sales and Use Taxes

A 6% tax is imposed on the sale or rental of most goods and the sale of certain services. However, there are exemptions such as food; all purchases made with food stamps; utility charges for residential property; household fuel; prescription drugs; certain nonprescription drugs; clothing under $50; newspapers; magazines by subscription; yarn; and materials for noncommercial sewing used to make clothing. Computer and data processing services are taxable at 1%. Internet access services are exempt.

When the seller of goods or provider of taxable services does not collect sales tax, the buyer must pay use tax at the same rate as the sales tax.  Typically, if you purchase goods from mail order or catalog companies or over the Internet and have the goods shipped to Connecticut or you purchase goods at out-of-state locations and bring those goods back into Connecticut, you must pay the Connecticut use tax. If all the items purchased and brought into Connecticut at one time total $25 or less, you do not have to pay Connecticut use tax.  The $25 exemption does not apply to items shipped or mailed to you.

You pay the use tax for purchases you made during the prior calendar year on your Connecticut income tax return or on Form OP-186, Connecticut Individual Use Tax Return, on or before April 15. See Informational Publication 2005(17)Q & A on the Connecticut Individual Use Tax.

Room Occupancy Tax 

A room occupancy tax of 12% applies to the rental of rooms in a hotel or lodging house for 30 consecutive days or less.  See Policy Statement 2003(1)Application of Sales and Use Taxes and the Room Occupancy Tax to the Hotel and Motel Industry.

Alcoholic Beverages Tax, Cigarette Taxes, and Tobacco Products Tax

Alcoholic beverages tax, cigarette taxes, and tobacco products tax are included in the retail price of the items. In addition, 6% sales and use taxes apply at the time of sale.

The tax for alcoholic beverages, which is imposed on licensed distributors, is:

per wine gallon:

distilled liquor................................... $4.50

fortified and sparkling wines................ $1.50

still wines........................................ $0.60

still wines (from licensed farm winery)... $0.15

beer............................................... $0.20

   ($3.00 per half barrel, $1.50 per quarter barrel)

liquor coolers.................................... $2.05 

Alcohol in excess of 100 proof is taxed at $4.50 per proof gallon.  Most alcoholic cider is taxed at the beer rate. See Special Notice 97(6)1997 Legislative Changes to the Alcoholic Beverages Tax Affecting Wines and Cider.

You may legally bring into Connecticut up to four gallons of alcoholic beverages you bought or were given outside Connecticut. Bringing alcoholic beverages into Connecticut means personally carrying them into Connecticut, or transporting them into Connecticut in a motor vehicle you are driving, or if you are returning by air, rail, bus, or water to Connecticut, placing them in your luggage being returned with you to Connecticut.  Bringing alcoholic beverages into Connecticut does not include having alcoholic beverages shipped to you.  You do not need a permit to bring up to four gallons of alcoholic beverages into Connecticut, but you will owe Connecticut use tax and the Connecticut alcoholic beverages tax on the alcoholic beverages being brought into the state.  To report and pay Connecticut use tax and Connecticut alcoholic beverages tax, you must file Form S&BTPayment of Taxes Due on Importation of Alcoholic Beverages with DRS.  See Informational Publication 2000(15)Bringing or Importing Alcoholic Beverages Into Connecticut, for more information.

Under certain conditions, the direct shipment of wine to consumers and retailers in Connecticut may be authorized. See Special Notice 2005(6)2005 Legislation Affecting the Direct Shipment of Wine to State Residents.

In Connecticut, the tax on cigarettes is $1.51 per pack of 20 cigarettes, while the tax on most tobacco products (excluding cigarettes) is 20% of the wholesale sales price. 

Admissions and Dues Tax

The dues tax is a 10% tax levied on dues and initiation fees of a social, athletic, or sporting club that is either owned or operated by its members.  The club is exempt from the dues tax if the annual dues of every member and any initiation fee are each $100 or less.  Lawn bowling clubs are exempt from dues tax. See Informational Publication 2003(11)Q & A: The Dues Tax.

A 10% admissions tax applies to admission charges to any place of amusement, entertainment, or recreation.  Charges over $5.00 to motion picture shows are subject to 6% admissions tax.

Certain venues are specifically exempt from admissions tax.  Productions featuring live entertainment by actors or musicians at non-profit theaters and playhouses exempt under I.R.C. §501 are exempt from the tax.  Also exempt from the tax are admission charges of $5.00 or less to motion picture shows and admission charges to carnivals, amusement rides, and establishments whose admissions charges would have been subject to the cabaret tax.

Motor Vehicle Fuels Tax

A tax is imposed on motor vehicle fuels used to propel motor vehicles on public roads and highways.  The rate on gasoline is 25¢ per gallon and the rate for diesel fuel is 26¢ per gallon. 

Motor Vehicle Fees

Effective January 1, 2004, the two-year registration fee for passenger cars is $75. Upon renewal, there is an additional Clean Air Act fee for all classes of motor vehicles.  Operator licenses are issued every six years for $66.  For more information, call the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) at 1-800-842-8222 (in-state) or 860-263-5700 (from anywhere), or visit the DMV web site

Boat Registration Fees

There is an annual registration fee for boats in lieu of a local property tax.  For information, contact the DMV at 1-800-842-8222 (in-state) or 860-263-5700 (from anywhere).

Effect on Other Documents: Informational Publication 2005(25) modifies and supersedes Informational Publication 2004(24)Personal Taxes. 

Effect of This Document: An Informational Publication issued by the Department of Revenue Services (DRS) addresses frequently asked questions about a current position, policy, or practice, usually in a less technical question and answer format. 

For Further Information: Call DRS during business hours, Monday through Friday:

  • 1-800-382-9463 (in-state), or

  • 860-297-5962 (from anywhere)

TTY, TDD, and Text Telephone users only may transmit inquiries anytime by calling 860-297-4911. 

Forms and Publications: Forms and publications are available anytime by:

  • Internet: Preview and download forms and publications from the DRS Web site

  • Telephone: Call 860-297-4753 (from anywhere), or 1-800-382-9463 (in-state) and select Option 2 from a touch-tone phone.

IP 2005(25)
Personal Taxes
Issued: 10/24/2005