This information is not current and is being provided for reference purposes only

IP 99(2.1)

Connecticut Tax Tips for Senior Citizens

This publication has been superseded by IP 2000(20)

PURPOSE: This publication is designed to acquaint you with Connecticut taxes.  Information on income tax and sales tax, as well as succession, gift, real estate conveyance and local property taxes, is included in this publication.  To order forms or publications or to get help, follow the instructions below.


The Connecticut income tax applies to Connecticut residents, part-year residents, and nonresidents who have income from Connecticut sources. (See the instructions in the Connecticut income tax instruction booklets to determine your residency status.) The tax is computed on your Connecticut taxable income.

Income Tax Return: The Connecticut income tax return for calendar year filers is due on or before April 18, 2000, for the 1999 taxable year.  You may be required to file an income tax return even if you do not owe any tax.  Information on filing requirements is included in all Connecticut income tax instruction booklets.  Residents must file Form CT-1040, Form CT-1040EZ or Form CT-1040EZ Telefile. Nonresidents and part-year residents must file Form CT-1040NR/PY.

To compute your Connecticut taxable income, subtract your personal exemption from your Connecticut adjusted gross income.  If your Connecticut adjusted gross income is less than or equal to the maximum exemption amount for your filing status, you do not owe any Connecticut income tax.

Maximum exemption amounts are:

$12,000 single filers or married filing separately
For every $1,000 (or part of $1,000) of Connecticut adjusted gross income over $24,000, the exemption amount is reduced by $1,000.
$19,000 head of household
For every $1,000 (or part of $1,000) of Connecticut adjusted gross income over $38,000, the exemption amount is reduced by $1,000.
$24,000 married filing jointly
For every $1,000 (or part of $1,000) of Connecticut adjusted gross income over $48,000, the exemption amount is reduced by $1,000.

Tax Rate: For the 1999 taxable year and thereafter, the tax rate is 3% on the first:

  • $10,000 of Connecticut taxable income for single filers and married taxpayers filing separately;
  • $16,000 of Connecticut taxable income for head of household filers; and
  • $20,000 of Connecticut taxable income for married taxpayers filing jointly.

The remaining income is taxed at 4.5%

Credits: You may be eligible for a personal tax credit of between 1% and 75%, depending on your income level. The credit is incorporated into the income tax tables. (See Table C in the Connecticut income tax instruction booklets if you are using the tax calculation schedule to compute your income tax liability.)

A property tax credit is also available to resident individuals for property taxes paid to a Connecticut political subdivision on a primary residence or on a motor vehicle, or both.  Generally, this credit is allowed for property tax bills first becoming due during 1999 and paid during 1999.

This credit is also allowed for second or later installments of property tax paid during 1999, if the first installment first became due during 1999.  The maximum credit allowed for the 1999 taxable year is $425 per return. Supplemental property tax bills first becoming due during 1999 and paid during 1999 also qualify for this credit.   However, the payment of any delinquent property tax bills or the payment of any interest, fees or charges related to the property tax bill do not qualify for this credit.

If you paid more than $100 in qualifying property taxes, you may be subject to a limitation depending on your filing status and your Connecticut adjusted gross income. See Informational Publication 99(34), Q & A: Income Tax Credit for Property Taxes Paid to a Connecticut Political Subdivision, for more information.

Computing Your Income Tax: The following example shows how to compute the income tax liability for the 1999 taxable year for a resident married couple filing jointly.  The tax is rounded to the nearest whole dollar.

CT adjusted gross income


Personal exemption


CT taxable income


Calculation of Tax
Income taxable at 3% $20,000
Tax rate     x .03
Tax at 3%      $600
Income taxable at 4.5% $1,000
Tax rate x .045
Tax at 4.5%      $45
Total tax


Personal tax credit
(total tax of $645 X 15% from Table C)


Tax due (before deducting any
property tax credit)


Income Subject to Tax: Income included in your federal adjusted gross income generally is subject to Connecticut income tax.  Income excluded from your federal adjusted gross income generally is not subject to Connecticut income tax.  For example, interest from Connecticut state or local bonds is not subject to federal or Connecticut income tax.  Likewise, the gain from the sale of your primary residence is subject to Connecticut income tax only to the extent that it is subject to federal income tax.

Modifications to Federal Adjusted Gross Income: Certain income is treated differently for Connecticut income tax purposes than it is for federal income tax purposes.  If you have such income, you must make modifications (additions or subtractions) to your federal adjusted gross income to compute your Connecticut adjusted gross income. These modifications are explained fully in the instructions to Schedule 1, Form CT-1040, Connecticut Resident Income Tax Return, and Form CT-1040NR/PY, Connecticut Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return. If you have income from U.S. government obligations, such as U.S. Savings Bonds or Treasury Notes, or income from bonds issued by another state, you must complete Schedule 1 to make the appropriate modification.  Remember: You generally cannot use Form CT-1040EZ or Form CT-1040EZ Telefile if you are required to make a modification to federal adjusted gross income.  You must use Form CT-1040 or Form CT-1040NR/PY.

Social Security Benefit Adjustment: Social Security recipients who pay federal income tax on their benefits may be able to reduce the amount of benefits that are taxable for Connecticut income tax purposes by completing the Social Security Benefit Adjustment Worksheet included with Form CT-1040 or Form CT-1040NR/PY.

For taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 1999, Social Security recipients whose filing status is: Single or Married Filing Separately and report a federal adjusted gross income of less than $50,000; or Married Filing Jointly or Head of Household and report a federal adjusted gross income of less than $60,000 are not subject to Connecticut income tax on federally taxable Social Security benefits.

Estimated Income Tax Filing Requirements: You must make estimated Connecticut income tax payments if your Connecticut income tax (after tax credits) minus Connecticut income tax withheld is more than $500, you expect your Connecticut income tax withheld to be less than your required annual payment.   Estimated payments are generally made in four equal installments: April 15, June 15, September 15, and January 15. If your income varies throughout the year, however, you may be able to reduce or eliminate the amount of one or more estimated payments by using the annualized installment method.  See Informational Publication 99(35), Estimated Connecticut Income Taxes, and Informational Publication 99(33), A Guide to Calculating Your Annualized Estimated Income Tax Installments, for more information.

Withholding from Your Pension: If you are a resident and receive a pension, you may be able to have Connecticut income tax withheld from your pension payments.  Contact your pension payer and ask for Form CT-W4P, Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments.  Retired federal civil service employees must contact the United States Office of Personnel Management (USOPM) to start, stop or change Connecticut income tax withholding.  Call USOPM at 1-800-409-6528 to use the automated request system or 1-202-606-0500 to speak with a representative.

If you are a nonresident and receive a pension, your pension is not subject to Connecticut income tax, even if a former employer pays you a pension for services performed while you were employed in Connecticut.


There are no special exemptions from the sales tax for senior citizens.  However, some examples of items and services that are not subject to sales or use taxes are:

  • Clothing and footwear items costing under $50;
  • Current United States and Connecticut flags;
  • Diabetic supplies (test strips and tablets, lancets and glucose monitoring equipment, and repair and replacement parts for such equipment);
  • Doctor, dentist, medical laboratory, lawyer and travel agent fees;
  • Eyeglasses, dentures, hearing aids, and hearing aid batteries;
  • Most non-prescription (over-the-counter) drugs that are used internally or externally.   This includes: vitamins or mineral concentrates, dietary supplements, natural or herbal medicines, pain relievers, laxatives, antidiarrheal medicines, analgesics, antibiotic, antiviral and antifungal medicines, antiseptic, astringents, anesthetics, steroidal medicines, anthelmintics, emetics and antiemetics, antacids, cough syrups, lozenges, cold, and allergy products, antihistamines, eye, ear or nose medications, nasal sprays, drops and inhalers, and antacids.  Excluded from the exemption are cosmetics, dentifrices, mouthwash, shaving and hair care products, soaps and deodorants;
  • Adult diapers and disposable pads for incontinence;
  • Oxygen and oxygen equipment, customized trusses and braces, crutches and wheelchairs, and repair and replacement parts for such equipment;
  • Prescription drugs, syringes and needles;
  • Repair services and repair and replacement parts for artificial limbs, artificial eyes, hearing aids and other equipment used to support vital life functions;
  • Repair services and repair and replacement parts for crutches, walkers, wheelchairs, and inclined stairway chairlifts;
  • Telephone equipment designed exclusively for deaf or blind people;
  • Equipment for people with physical disabilities installed in motor vehicles and repair and replacement parts for such equipment;
  • Electricity and gas for residential use;
  • Fuel for residential heating or cooking such as oil, kerosene, wood, coal and charcoal;
  • Fabric, thread, buttons, zippers, trim, and similar materials, for noncommercial sewing used to make clothing;
  • Yarn for noncommercial use;
  • Food purchased in supermarkets (Beer, wine and all alcoholic beverages are taxable.   Candy, gum, soda, and all other carbonated beverages, including water, are also taxable.);
  • Food products sold through coin-operated vending machines;
  • Instruction classes, such as knitting, sewing, dog obedience, music, dance, etc.;
  • Labor for many home repairs and services including plumbing, electrical, refuse removal, and septic cleaning services.  However, the following renovation services are subject to sales and use taxes at 4% until July 1, 2000, at 2% until July 1, 2001, and nontaxable thereafter: painting, staining, paving, roofing, wallpapering, siding, and exterior sheet metal work;
  • Landscaping and horticulture services, window cleaning, and maintenance services when rendered at the residence of a person eligible to receive, and currently receiving, total disability benefits under the Social Security Act;
  • Repair and maintenance services to vessels have been phased out and are exempt.   Fabrication labor to vessels is also exempt;
  • Meals that are delivered to homes of elderly persons and that are provided by special programs, such as "Meals on Wheels;"
  • All newspapers and subscriptions to magazines;
  • Other nontaxable services, including animal grooming and boarding services,   laundry, hair styling, health and athletic services, towing, real estate and jewelry appraisal;
  • Vegetable seeds;
  • Bicycle helmets;
  • Firearm safety devices;
  • Shoe repair services;
  • Personal property used in a burial or cremation with a value of up to $2,500.

Discounts: When a senior citizen discount or other discount is offered on a taxable item, the sales tax is applied to the discounted price.

Coupons: A coupon entitles a purchaser to an immediate reduction in the sales price of an item when the coupon is presented to a retailer.   No additional action is required of the purchaser.  In contrast, rebates do not reduce the taxable sales price of an item being purchased.

Sales and use taxes must be calculated on the sales price after reducing the price by the value of any coupons presented.  Any additional value assigned by the retailer, such as to double or triple the coupon, is also excluded from the sales price.

For example, if the original price of an item is $3.00 and you present a coupon for 50 cents off the item, the taxable price is now $2.50.  The total price of the item, including the sales tax, is $2.65.

See Policy Statement 98(1.1), Sales Tax Treatment of Coupons, Scan Cards, Cash Equivalents, Promotional Items and Rebates, for additional information.

Use Tax: When the seller of goods or provider of taxable services does not collect the sales tax, you must pay a use tax.  You must file a use tax return annually to report purchases of goods or services on which Connecticut sales tax was not paid.

Typically, if you purchased goods from mail order or catalog companies and had the goods shipped to Connecticut or you purchased goods at out-of-state locations and brought those goods back into Connecticut you must pay the Connecticut use tax if you did not pay Connecticut sales tax.  You must pay the use tax for purchases you made during the prior calendar year on either your Connecticut income tax return or on Form OP-186, Connecticut Individual Use Tax, on or before April 15.


The Connecticut succession tax began to be phased out in 1997 and is scheduled for total repeal in 2005.  For estates of decedents dying on or after January 1, 2001, any part of the net taxable estate passing to Class A beneficiaries will no longer be subject to the tax.  For a resident decedent's estate, the tax applies to all property, except for real property and tangible personal property located outside Connecticut.  For a nonresident decedent's estate, the tax applies only to real property and tangible personal located in Connecticut. The tax rate depends on the relationship of the beneficiary to the decedent and the size of the estate.  There is a total exemption from tax if the entire estate passes to a surviving spouse.  For information and tax tables for estates of decedents dying after 1996, see Special Notice 95(18), 1995 Legislative Changes Affecting the Succession and Transfer Taxes and the Estate Tax.


Residents are taxed on all gifts of intangible property and on gifts of real property and tangible personal property located in Connecticut.  Nonresidents are taxed on gifts of real and tangible personal property located in Connecticut.

Gifts of a present interest to any particular donee during the calendar year are not subject to the Connecticut gift tax unless the value of all the gifts to the donee during the calendar year exceeds $10,000.  (The annual exclusion amount will be indexed for inflation after 1998 for federal and Connecticut gift tax purposes. However, there is no adjustment to the annual exclusion amount for 1999.) Transfers of future interests are not covered by this $10,000 annual exclusion.

If both spouses are citizens or residents of the United States at the time of the gift, and both spouses consent and make an election for federal gift tax purposes, all gifts made to third parties during the calendar year, whether made by one spouse alone or made partly by each spouse, are considered as made one-half by each spouse.  Thus, the first $20,000 of gifts of a present interest in property to any donee by consenting spouses during the calendar year are not subject to tax.

The special valuation rules under I.R.C. §§2701 to 2704 (dealing with transfers to or for the benefit of family members) apply for Connecticut gift tax purposes.  For example, if a donor delivers a deed transferring title to his home to his children but reserving a life use, the value of the gift equals the sum of the value of the life estate and the value of the remainder interest (that is, the full fair market value of the home).

To split the gift, the spouses must be legally married to each other at the time of the gift.  If they are divorced during the year, they still may split the gift so long as neither marries anyone else during the year.  In addition, both must be citizens or residents of the United States on the date of the gift.

If you give a gift, you may be required to file federal Form 709, United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return and Form CT-709, Connecticut Gift Tax Return.  If both spouses consent and an election is made to gift split, each spouse must file his or her own Form CT-709.

See Informational Publication 99(9), A Guide to the Federal and Connecticut Gift Taxes, and the instruction booklet for Form CT-709, Connecticut Gift Tax Return, for more information.


A state and municipal real estate conveyance tax is imposed on deeds conveying an interest in realty where the consideration for the interest in property equals or exceeds $2000. A deed for no consideration or less than $2000 in consideration is exempt from this tax, but may be subject to the gift tax.  A deed of the principal residence of a person receiving property tax benefits for the elderly is exempt from the state tax but subject to the municipal tax.


Homeowner/Renter Tax Credit: An annual property tax credit or rent rebate is available to residents, age 65 or older, or to a surviving spouse, age 50 or older, who meet certain residence and income requirements. Regardless of age, a totally and permanently disabled person is also eligible.  Contact the local assessor in your town or city hall for details and forms.

Veteran Exemption: A variable, annual tax exemption on the assessed value of an owner-occupied dwelling or on a motor vehicle is available to any qualified veteran or surviving spouse.  Contact the local assessor in your town or city hall for details and forms for any of the above.

EFFECT ON OTHER DOCUMENTS: Informational Publication 99(2.1) modifies and supersedes Informational Publication 99(2), State Tax Tips for Senior Citizens.

EFFECT OF THIS DOCUMENT: An Informational Publication is a document that addresses frequently asked questions about a current Department position, policy or practice, usually in a less technical format.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: Please call the Department of Revenue Services, Taxpayer Services Division during business hours, Monday through Friday:

  • 1-800-382-9463 (toll-free within Connecticut), or
  • 860-297-5962 (from anywhere).
  • TTY, TDD and Text Telephone users only may transmit inquiries 24 hours a day by calling 860-297-4911.

FORMS AND PUBLICATIONS: Forms and publications are available all day, seven days a week:

  • Internet: preview and download forms and publications from the DRS Web site or
  • Telephone: Call 1-800-382-9463 (toll-free within Connecticut), and select Option 2; or 860-297-4753 (from anywhere).

IP 99(2.1)
State Tax Tips for Senior Citizens
Issued 12/15/99