The appropriate procedure to follow for filing a claim against the Department of Transportation (CTDOT) depends on the nature of the accident or occurrence giving rise to the claim. There are three separate procedures:

1. filing a claim pursuant to section 13a-144 of the Connecticut General Statutes (for claims allegedly caused by a defective condition on a state highway). Notice of the claim must be given to the Commissioner within 90 days of the incident and that notice must provide the information required in the statute. The pertinent portion of the statute provides:

No such action shall be brought except within two years from the date of such injury, nor unless notice of such injury and a general description of the same and of the cause thereof and of the time and place of its occurrence has been given in writing within ninety days thereafter to the commissioner.

2. filing a claim pursuant to section 52-556 of the Connecticut General Statutes (for claims allegedly caused by a motor vehicle owned by the State and operated by a state employee)

3. Chapter 53 of the Connecticut General Statutes (for all other claims).


Mail all claims to the following address: 

Connecticut Department of Transportation
Attn: Claims Unit
P.O. Box 317546
Newington, CT 06131-7546


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Is there a specific Department of Transportation form that has to be used to file a claim?

A. No.


Q. Can I file a claim online?

A. No


Q. What happens after my claim is filed?

A. For claims filed under section 13a-144 or section 52-556 of the Connecticut General Statutes, the matter is referred to the State’s third-party insurance administrator. A Claim representative will contact you with the disposition of your claim. Claims filed under Chapter 53 will follow the process set forth in that Chapter.


Q. What is the phone number for the Department’s Claims Unit?

A. 860-594-2235