Thank you for visiting the Connecticut Department of Transportation’s website. Here are some frequently asked questions:


Q. How do I get a NEW or REVISED traffic sign, signal, pavement markings, or guardrail barrier on a State Road?

A.  Contact your Local Traffic Authority (LTA). Each town has an LTA. If they agree that a new sign is needed, the LTA will contact us to initiate a study.


Q.  What if I need to renew my driver’s license, commercial driver’s license (CDL), or vehicle registration?

A. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles.


Q.  How do I file a claim if my motor vehicle was damaged while I was driving on a State Road? (This is not for motor vehicles accidents.)

A.  Visit the instructions page for Submitting a Claim. You may also email the unit at


Q.  Whom do I contact if I think I have an oversized or overweight truck or trailer, and do I need a permit?

A.  Visit our Oversized and Overweight Vehicles webpage. You may also contact them by email at


Q.  Whom do I contact about my U.S. DOT number?

A.  Contact the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) or the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles.


Q.  Whom do I contact about tolls or EZPASS in Connecticut?

A.  There are no tolls in Connecticut. We do not sell EZPass.


Q.  What type of vehicles are allowed on the Merritt and the Wilbur Cross Parkways?

A. Passenger, non-commercial vehicles are allowed. There are other restrictions. For details about what is not allowed visit the Connecticut Parkways page on our website.


Q.  What if I have a comment, question, or complaint about a taxi, limo, moving company (called household goods carrier), or private/charter motorbus services?

A.  You can visit our Regulatory and Compliance webpage for information, or email to


Q.  What if I have a comment, question, or complaint about CTtransit or CTfastrak bus services?

A.  Use this link for the CTtransit feedback form.


Q.  What if I have a comment, question, or complaint about train service in Connecticut?

A.  Use this link for the MetroNorth New Haven Line.

      Use this link for Shoreline East.

      Use this link for Hartford Line.

      Use this link for Amtrak.


Q. How do I get real-time traffic alerts and updates?

A.  Sign up for alerts via Twitter at StatewideCTDOT, or on the webpage CTroads.


Q. Is there any new law, event, project, or program that I need know about?

A.  Yes. The CTDOT always has something new to announce. Visit our CTDOT Press Releases and CTDOT Construction Advisories pages to get the latest information.


Q.  Where can I find what the Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) does?

A.  Go to the A to Z Index or look in our Transportation Fast Facts booklet for some of our latest accomplishments.


Q. How do I report a problem on a State road or highway?

A.  Contact the Customer Care Center by phone at 860-594-2560, email at, or by webform located on our website


Q.  What is the address and main telephone number for the CTDOT?

A.  Mailing address:

2800 Berlin Turnpike, P.O. Box 317546, Newington, CT 06131-7546


Physical address:

2800 Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111


Main phone number: 860-594-2000.



CTDOT Customer Care Center Hours of Operation

Operating hours for the CTDOT Customer Care Center are Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

The Customer Care Center is closed on weekends and the following holidays:

New Year’s Day Martin Luther King, Jr. Day President’s Day Lincoln’s Birthday  Good Friday
Memorial Day Juneteenth Day Independence Day Labor Day Columbus Day
Veterans Day Thanksgiving Day Christmas Day


CTDOT Customer Care Center

If you need help, have a question or comment, or would like to report a problem on a state road, please contact our CTDOT Customer Care Center by:



Mailing Address

CT Department of Transportation

2800 Berlin Turnpike

P.O. Box 317546

Newington, CT 06131-7546




CTDOT Information Line

(860) 594-2000




CTDOT Office of Communications

Members of the media may contact the CTDOT Office of Communications with inquiries and interview requests by:


Other CTDOT Contacts

Bureau of Engineering and Construction

Information on the capital program, construction projects, bridges, highway design, rights of way, and more; or call (860) 594-2704.


Bureau of Highway Operations and Maintenance

Information on snow and ice control, vegetation management, incident management, oversize/ overweight vehicle permitting, and more; or call (860) 594-2084.


Bureau of Public Transportation

Information on bus transit, rail operations, ferries, and ridesharing programs, and more; or call (860) 594-2802.


Bureau of Policy and Planning

Click here to learn about the Pollinator Program, corridor and system-wide planning, environmental planning, GIS and data analytics, feasibility studies, and more; or call (860) 594-2002.


Bureau of Finance and Administration

Information on our financial and administrative services including, operations and support, contract administration and compliance, external audits, and more; or call (860) 594-2202.



Frequently Called Numbers


Employee Directory

Use the Connecticut State Government Telephone and Email Directory at