Connecticut State Police Patch STATE OF CONNECTICUT
Department of Public Safety
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, Connecticut 06457
February 2, 2011
State Police Investigate Wethersfield Shooting

On 02/01/11 just before midnight a Wethersfield Police Officer initiated an investigation of a suspicious male in the driveway at a private school located on Progress Lane in Wethersfield.

During the investigation the officer removed the suspect from his vehicle. While the investigation was underway the suspect attempted to flee on foot from the officer. After a short foot pursuit the officer again apprehended the suspect.

The suspect became involved in a violent physical struggle with the officer.  During the struggle the suspect tried to gain access to the officer's service weapon.  During the struggle the officer's weapon fell to the ground while the struggle continued. The suspect continued to be extremely violent and physically aggressive towards the officer encircling his arms around the officer's neck causing the officer to fear for his life.  Both were struggling for the officer's service weapon. The officer was able to gain access to his service weapon and was forced to discharge it at the suspect.

The suspect was severely wounded.  EMS responded and provided emergency care and transported the suspect to Hartford Hospital where he was pronounced dead. The scene was secured by Wethersfield Officers.  The Officer also received injury during this violent struggle and was transported to Hartford Hospital for treatment.    

At the request of the New Britain State's Attorney and the Chief of the Wethersfield Police Department, The Connecticut State Police Major Crime Squad responded to the scene to conduct the investigation into this shooting incident. 

The identities of both involved are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

A post mortem examination of the deceased will be conducted by the office of the Chief State's Medical examiner to determine the manner and cause of death.

This shooting incident remains under investigation


Lt. J. Paul Vance