Collections For Prescription Medicines and
Over-The-Counter (OTC) Products

clip art of medicine bottle

Unwanted medication should not be flushed down the toilet or sink!  In CT, there are several ways that consumers can safely dispose of unwanted medications: 

  • Put them in the trash following these instructions for safe disposal
  • Check to see if your local police station has a drug drop off box.
  • Purchase a medicine disposal envelope from chain pharmacies such as CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid.
  • Bring them to a one-day medicine collection sponsored by an organization or government.

These collections accept expired or unwanted prescription drugs, OTC products (like aspirin or cough medicine), vitamins, veterinary medicines and even medicines with unreadable labels or unknown content. They usually do not accept thermometers, syringes or other any other type of medical equipment or waste. 

Find a Household Drugs Take-Back Collection

Some collections are open to all residents in CT; others are restricted based on the sponsor's requirements. Check before you go.

Guidelines For Sponsoring A Collection

  • CT DEEP has a table top display on Disposal of Prescription Medicines.  This display describes the proper way to dispose of consumer medications. Also available in Spanish.  Displays can be loaned out for up to 1 week, free of charge.  To reserve, please contact us well in advance of your event. Displays must be picked up and returned to DEEP offices at 79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT. You are responsible for loss or any damage to the display.  Contact or to reserve a display and you will be given an agreement form to fill out.

Permit Information

If you have additional questions, contact Frank Gagliardo, Supervising Environmental Analyst, DEEP Bureau of Materials Management & compliance Assurance, Waste Engineering & Enforcement Division, 860-424-3130.  

  • The local police or CT Department of Consumer Protection drug control agent must oversee the collection and disposal of medications that are controlled substances. See their guidelines and other helpful documents before holding a collection.  

Note:  Schools that want to dispose of controlled substances should call the Drug Control Division of the CT Dept. of Consumer Protection for assistance at 860-713-6065. 

Content last updated February 6, 2020