Bypass Reporting for Municipalities

The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) oversees required sewage bypass reporting.  This page provides information for operators who are required to report to DEEP. 

For public information, please see Sewage Right-to-Know Information.  If you are a member of the public and see a spill, please contact the local water pollution control authority or police department for immediate assistance. 

Connecticut General Statutes (CGS) Section 22a-427 prohibits pollution or discharge of wastes. No person or municipality shall cause pollution of any of the waters of the state or maintain a discharge of any treated or untreated wastes in violation of any provision of this chapter.

CGS Section 22a-424a(c)(2) requires that, not later than two hours after becoming aware of any sewage spill, the operator of a sewage treatment plant or collection system shall submit an electronic report to DEEP.  CGS Section 22a-424a(e) requires that any report to DEEP that is required pursuant to section 22a-430-3 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies shall be submitted as an electronic report.

Authorized Electronic Reporters

A new subscriber agreement will be required for ALL systems as of May 2021.  The new subscriber agreements are due back to the department on or before July 1, 2021.  A new subscriber agreement must be done for new hires or when switching municipalities/companies.

Authorized Electronic Report Forms

You must: 1) Submit a complete Subscriber Agreement Application, 2) Take the online training, and 3) Submit the form at the end of the training. After those 3 steps occur, you will be assigned a user name and password to utilize the following link:

Reporting Tips for the new system:
Reporting Non-Electronically

If the electronic reporting system is not functioning or there is an emergency at the facility that impedes electronic reporting (no electricity, flooding, etc), the operator of the facility or collection system is still required to notify DEEP within 2 hours of becoming aware of a bypass event.  You may call  (860) 424-3704 during normal business hours or DEEP’s Emergency Spill Response Unit at (860) 424-3338 at all other times.  It is important to remember that you must speak to a DEEP official and that it is unacceptable to leave a voice mail message.  Once the event impeding electronic reporting has cleared, the operator is required to submit the event electronically.

For additional information regarding the Municipal Wastewater Program, please contact the Municipal Facilities section by e-mail or call us at 860-424-3704.

Content last updated on February 21, 2024