About Careers in the Trades

Looking at a career in plumbing, electrical, heating and cooling or any other construction trade?
Here are some things you need to know and do...
  1. Review our informational guide.
  2. Complete all your required courses for high school graduation or your GED. 
  3. Register as an Apprentice with the Connecticut Department of Labor Apprentice Training Division. Visit: www.ctapprenticeship.com or call: (860) 263-6085.
  4. Complete your occupational courses at one of the many public and private technical schools, which have day and evening hours for apprenticeship and   extension courses. The Connecticut Technical High School System website is: www.cttech.org.
  5. Take your professional licensing exam. PSI Examination Services administers all exams for careers in the construction trades through a contract with the Department of Consumer Protection. Visit PSI at www.psiexams.com or call   (800) 733-9267.
  6. Read the Connecticut Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management, available for purchase at www.nascla.org (required text for State contractors examination).
    If you have been or are a "service member". Which means a member of the armed forces or the National Guard or a veteran, please contact the Connecticut Department of Labor, Office of Apprenticeship Training and request a military training evaluation, for on the job training and school related instruction credit towards the type of license you are applying for, prior to sending in an application for licensure.
    Phone: (860) 263-6128 or Email: paul.femia@ct.gov    Web site: www.ctapprenticeship.com
The Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection administers and regulates matters related to contractors, oversees licensing examinations, and issues licenses. The Commissioner has the power to:
  • Make all necessary regulations for the practice and standards of occupations to preserve the public safety and welfare
  • Establish the amount and type of experience and training required to qualify for a license
  • Determine the specific area of trade for which limited licenses shall be issued and areas for which no license is required.
The Department investigates licensees for incompetence or failure to perform work and takes appropriate disciplinary action when needed, in order to protect the profession from incompetent, unethical, or dishonest practitioners. 
Feel free to email the Department of Consumer Protection  at dcp.occupationalprofessional@ct.gov with any questions about education and licensing for the building trades.


The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.