Liquor On-Premises Application Process

What is the application process for an on-premises permit?

Applying for a permit is a multi-step process, but the Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) is here to answer your questions and provide the forms, information, and assistance you need. 


Below is a brief overview the steps in the application process:

  1. Decide what permit you need:  Review the permit guides and permit overview list on this webpage, or take our permit identifier quiz to help guide you to the appropriate permit. 
  2. Begin an on-line application:  Create an e-License account and start an on-line application for an "On-Premise Permit (LIQ-ON)."  Fill out the application and upload the documents required.  (Our application instructions contain more information about what documents are necessary.)  You will need to obtain signatures from your local town clerk, zoning officer, fire marshal, and health department as part of your application.  You will additionally need: a sketch of your premise that shows the seating, layout, and lockable storage; photos of the completed and fully furnished interior; photos of the trade name sign taken from across the street or highway; menu (or for cafes without their own food, menus from restaurants that will deliver to your location); equipment list; and staff list.  The permittee and every member of the backer will also need a personal history form
  3. Submit the application:  After completing the on-line application, you will submit it and pay the $100 non-refundable application fee. 
  4. DCP review and permit fee: Your application will be reviewed by DCP staff for completeness.  If there are any issues with your application or the documents submitted, you’ll receive a notice that explains what needs to be fixed. DCP staff will also email you the invoice for your permit fee. 
  5. Placard and Publication Notice:  Once your application is deemed complete, DCP will email you a template for a placard and a publication notice.  You must have a placard made that you will post on the curb outside your premises, and you will submit the publication notice to a newspaper that circulates in the same town as your business.  It takes about two months to fully complete these steps.  These two items notify the public that a liquor permit is pending at your business; members of the public have the right to object to your liquor license. 
  6. Provisional permit:  If you wish to operate with a provisional license, your application will next be submitted for provisional approval by the Liquor Control Commission or their designee.  You may use the provisional permit even if your placard and publication notice are not yet completed.  If approved, you will be sent a provisional license and may now begin selling and serving alcohol on a provisional basis.  If your provisional permit is not approved for any reason, a Liquor Control Agent will be assigned to help you address any concerns.  (Note that a provisional permit is optional; you do not need a provisional permit.)
  7. Liquor Agent review and inspection: A Liquor Control Agent will be assigned to review your application in depth and check for any issues.  The Agent will also schedule a time to meet with the permittee and inspect the premises, and will check that your placard and publication notice were done correctly. 
  8. Final approval:  Once the Liquor Control Agent determines that your application is complete and your premises is ready for a permit, your application will be submitted to the Liquor Control Commission or their designee for approval.  If approved, you will receive your permit and can begin to sell and serve alcohol (or continue to serve alcohol if you had a provisional permit already.)  If not approved for any reason, your application will be scheduled for an administrative hearing before the Liquor Control Commission.


How long does the application process take?

It takes DCP about 3 to 4 weeks from receipt of a completed application to issue a provisional permit.  It takes DCP about 3 months to issue a final permit.  Any issues with incomplete applications or not completing the placard and publication notice correctly results in delays. 


How much does a permit cost?

The cost depends on the type of permit you want.  All fees below include a $100 nonrefundable application fee.

Permit Type

Full Year

Six Months




Café – Bar Liquor



Café – Airport Liquor



Café – Bowling Alley



Café – Golf Country Club



Café – Tobacco Bar



Café – Racing & Jai alai



Café – Railroad



Café – Special Sporting



Café – University



Club – 501(c)(3)



Club – Non-profit









Concession/Concession One Day


$300 / n/a

Hotel Liquor






Mobile Caterer



Nonprofit Public Museum



Outdoor Open Air



Restaurant Caterer



Restaurant – Full Liquor



Restaurant – Wine and Beer Only



Theater – Non-profit






Other Possible Fees:



Additional Consumer Bar*



Provisional Permit* (nonrefundable)



Hotel Mini Bar*



Can I hold more than one permit at a time?

If an individual member of your business holds a permit, they may be forbidden from holding another type of permit.  Please review our Exclusion Grid that lists all our permits and identifies what other permit types you can hold at the same time.  An “X” indicates that you may hold both at the same time.



Forms & Instructions

You must apply online.  You may look at an historical copy of our paper On Premises Application and Instructions to get a general idea of the information and documentation necessary to complete an on-line application, however do not submit the paper application.    A few select permits require specialized information.  Those are:

·       Festival

·       Outdoor Open Air

·       Tobacco Bar


You may be required to submit some of the below forms as part of your application.  Below is a description of common forms and when they are required.  If a form is marked with an asterisk(*), then it is always required. 



Abandonment Affidavit

Used if there was a prior permit at business location but no alcohol was purchased from prior permittee

Add Live Entertainment

Add entertainment endorsements (bands, acoustic music, comedians, magicians, etc.) to your permit after filing your application (you may select live entertainment options on the first page of your application)

Affidavit of Seller’s Unpaid Obligations

Used if your business bought alcohol from the prior permittee

Release of Financial Info. / Personal History*

Must be filled out by permittee and each member of the backer to authorize a background check

Release of Backer Legal Entity Info

Must be signed by a member of backer; allows DCP to obtain financial information if required

CHRO Criminal Conviction Worksheet

Necessary if permittee or member of the backer has a felony history

Consultant/Attorney Representation Authorization

Used if you have an attorney, consultant, or other third-party helping you fill out the application

Provisional Permit Form

Submitted if you want a provisional permit

Backer’s Financial Statement*

Established that your business has the funds to cover initial and anticipated costs and expenses

Fire Marshal Inspection Form

Documents inspection by local fire marshal and that premises may be operated under fire code; fire marshal may sign front page of application instead of submitting this form

Patio/Ext. of Use/Add’l Consumer Bar

Used to extend permit premises to include a patio or any other area outside where drinks will be sold or served; to add any extra bars where consumers will sit and drink beverages (all permits already include one consumer bar)

Public Health Certificate

Must be signed by local health official and states that your business is authorized to sell food; applicant can submit a copy of the food service license instead