Off-Premises Caterer Liquor Permit (LCT)

Definition of Permit
: (covered under CGS §30-37j)

A caterer liquor permit shall allow a person regularly engaged in the business of providing food and beverages to others for service at private gatherings or at special events to sell and serve alcoholic liquor for on-premises consumption with or without the provision of food at any activity, event or function for which such person has been hired, pursuant to a contract between the holder of the caterer liquor permit and the hiring party.



Permit Application Requirements:

  • Complete the online application
  • CT Sales and Use Tax Permit: Contact DRS (860) 541-3224
  • CT Secretary of the State: Proof that your company is registered for business in the State of Connecticut
  • Proof that your business regularly engaged in the service of food (this is not a mobile bartending permit)
  • Copy of Catering Contract and Exclusivity Agreement with Third Party - if applicable
  • Fee Payment: see fee schedule below


Type of Permit

Application Filing Fee

Initial Permit Fee

Total Fee Due

Off-Premises Caterer Permit (LCT)

$100.00 +

$440.00 =


Caterer Notification Requirement:

The holder of a caterer liquor permit shall, on a form prescribed by the Department of Consumer Protection or electronically, notify the department, in writing, of the date, location and hours of each event at which alcohol is served under such permit at least one business day in advance of such event.

  • The Caterer Notification Online Only form - completed through your active LCT elicense credential account



  • This is a pdf Paper Application Only.  (Online capabilities for the Initial Application and payment of fees are limited at this time)
  • Pursuant to CGS §30-22, the holder of a Restaurant Liquor (LIR) or Restaurant Wine and Beer (LRW) permit does not need to obtain a separate off premises caterer liquor license to provide liquor at contracted events.  However, LIR and LRW permit holders must complete the Caterer Notification Requirement above, one business day in advance of their event.
  • Off-premise caterers are required by law to be “regularly engaged in the business of providing food and beverages to others for service at private gatherings.”  Under a recent law change, off-premise caterers are allowed to cater events without providing food.  In other words, an off-premise caterer may be hired to only provide alcoholic beverages.  However, an off-premise caterer cannot exclusively cater events without food, because an off-premise caterer must still be “regularly engaged in the business of providing food” at events.
  • Off-premise caterers are also prohibited from engaging in “self-dealing or self-hiring.”  This mean that off-premise caterers must be hired for events and must have a written contract with the person organizing the event.  An off-premise caterer cannot create their own events to cater.