If you feel you have been treated unfairly...

It is against the law to discriminate and deny someone the opportunity to live where they want to live on the basis of who they are. If you feel that you are being treated unfairly, take the following steps:

  • Call CHRO Housing Discrimination Unit:
    Toll free in CT (800) 477-5737 ext. 3403 or
    (860) 541- 3403, or
    (860) 541-3459 TDD for the hearing impaired.

    A formal complaint must be filed no later than the statutory deadline of 300 days. But because drafting, signing, and filing a complaint takes time, you should contact us as soon as possible to protect your rights and ensure that your complaint is timely filed.
  • Keep a record of any meetings and phone calls with the landlord, property manager, real estate agent, or loan officer. Include the person's name, title (if you know it) the meeting place, date and time.
  • Write down what happened and what was said and save all receipts, applications, business cards or other documents received during your meeting(s).
  • Click here to see if you need help quickly.
  • Report acts which may involve a criminal violation (such as sexual harassment or threats and acts of violence) to your local Police Department.
  • Contact the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
    TDD 1-800-877-8339 (for those who are disabled)
  • Contact your local fair housing agency.

Once you file a housing complaint, what happens?