Plant Export Certification

In order to move indoor grown plants, commonly known and recognized as houseplants, to the following states they must be inspected by personnel in the Office of the State Entomologist: California, Florida,  and Texas.

To arrange an inspection at your home, call us at (203) 974-8474. We require about two weeks notice before your departure date to arrange an inspection. When you call, let us know the state that you are moving to and the number of plants that you will be taking. Most plants can be brought with you if they are in potting soil, and have been kept indoors. You can either take them with you or they may go with the mover.

The movement of plants commonly known and recognized as houseplants, grown or intended to be grown indoors, and included as a part of a passenger's baggage or household effects is unrestricted. No inspection is required.

The USDA has quarantined most of the Northeast because of the gypsy moth. Movement of outdoor items is regulated. To meet the requirements of this quarantine, you must do the inspection yourself or hire a certified inspector. If you choose to do the inspection yourself, the USDA publication "Don't Move Gypsy Moth" is available from your mover or from the Office of the State Entomologist at (203) 974-8474.

Each year, Connecticut growers export many types of plants to foreign countries. When you need to ship plants out of the country you must call our office two weeks before you ship. At this time, we can check a country's regulations against a list of plants to be shipped to determine if there are any restrictions or regulations concerning specific plant species. ( i.e.; import permits, treatments, or prohibited plants ) We will come to your place of business, conduct an inspection, and issue you a phytosanitary certificate.

There are too many constantly changing rules to list them on this web site for every country. If you wish to schedule an inspection or have any questions, please call us at (203) 974-8474 or write to us at

When you need to ship plants to states that require inspections, there are to many constantly changing rules to list them on this web site for every country and state. If you have any questions, please call us at (203) 974-8474 or write to us at

All nursery stock entering Canada requires a Phytosanitary certificate and import permit. In lieu of the required import permit, a Federal Phytosanitary certificate may be obtained when individuals are moving plants from state to state via Canada. The Federal Phytosanitary certificate must be based on a thorough inspection of the plants just before departure. As a reminder, the exporter additionally must observe all U.S. Federal domestic quarantines.

When preparing the Federal Phytosanitary certificate, enter the exporter's name and the address of the Canadian point of entry for the declared name and address of the consignee. Specify the number and kind of plants on the certificate. Enter the following statement in the Additional Declaration section of the certificate: "In transit via Canada." Provide the exporter with the original and one copy of the certificate (both shipper's copies). The original copy of the Federal Phytosanitary certificate will be presented to Canadian Customs at the point of entry in Canada, and the second copy will be presented to U.S. Customs at the point of reentry in the U.S.A.

Neither the plants nor the packing material can be disposed of in Canada.