What can I do to conserve water?
- Unnecessary or excessive outdoor lawn watering is the single biggest waste of water. Voluntarily reduce or cease lawn watering to make the biggest impact.
- Set a voluntary indoor water use reduction goal of 10 or 20%, depending on the drought declaration for your area.
- Cut back on unnecessary water use, such as watering lawns, washing cars, or filling fish ponds and swimming pools.
- Put water conservation tips into practice.
- Follow the requests and recommendations of your local water utility.
Water Conservation Tips for Residents (Alliance for Water Efficiency)
Water Conservation Tips for Commercial, Industrial, and Institutional Water Use (Alliance for Water Efficiency)
Resources for efficient landscape design:
- Water Conservation in Connecticut Landscapes (UConn, 2017)
- Designing Water-Smart Landscapes (EPA, 2013)
View Connecticut's scorecard for Water Efficiency and Conservation (Alliance for Water Efficiency, December 2017).