Secretary Thomas Announces the Launch of the Civically Engaged Organization (C.E.O.)Program
(Hartford, CT) – Today, Secretary of the State Stephanie Thomas announced the launch of her Civically Engaged Organization (CEO) program, coinciding with National Small Business Week. The initiative invites businesses and non-profit organizations to commit to being civically engaged, either through active participation in the local community or by helping to broaden public and employee civic awareness. The program, which will require organizations to renew annually, brings together two of Secretary Thomas’ key focuses – business and civic education.
“When I ran for the role of Secretary, I knew two of my priorities were going to be improving the Office's outreach to the business community and increasing public civic awareness and engagement,” said Secretary Thomas. “Many organizations are already civically involved and are active members of their local communities. The CEO program formalizes that participation for those organizations and offers an opportunity for others to join in that.”
Any Connecticut-based organization can become a CEO by agreeing to pledge to E.N.G.A.G.E.:
Email the Office’s non-partisan “Civics 101” document to staff and/or customers.
Note dates of elections in the office/workplace and/or in newsletters.
Give employees time off to vote on Election Days if their schedules don’t allow for before or after hours voting.
Announce the organization’s commitment to civic engagement via email and social media.
Give employees time to volunteer in the community each year.
Email or post a polling place look-up tool for employees.
Organizations that commit to be civically engaged will benefit from the program in a number of ways, including employee recruitment, public and community relations, and building lasting partnerships with local stakeholders.
“As a former small business owner, I know how much it meant to my employees, to my customers, and to potential business partners that my business was involved in the local community,” said Secretary Thomas. “Joining the CEO program is a nonpartisan, apolitical way to positively highlight your organization and show your stakeholders that you care about the community.”
Upon pledging to E.N.G.A.G.E., organizations will receive a certificate and digital badge from the Office of the Secretary of the State, as well as a CEO toolkit that will include the Office’s “Civics 101” document and templates for press releases, social media posts, and newsletters.
As of today, the following organizations have already taken to pledge to be CEOs:
- 2 Ann’s Professional Cleaning and Organizing (New Haven)
- Academic Edge Services, LLC (Stamford)
- ALLEN LEVY, Ph.D., LCSW, PC (Westport)
- Atheava Ayurveda (Stamford)
- Black Lion LLC (Manchester)
- DACS Foundation Inc. (Hartford)
- DeepLook Medical (New Haven)
- EBC MultiServices LLC (New Haven)
- ERB Consulting (Windsor)
- Espalier, LLC (Westport)
- Fairfield Museum and History Center (Fairfield)
- Flawless Paintless Dent Repair (Rocky Hill)
- Grounded World, LLC (Westport)
- Heartbeats + Bare Feet: Womban Wellness, LLC (Bridgeport)
- Heavens Nails (Waterbury)
- Hospital of Central Connecticut’s Family Enrichment Center (New Britain)
- Human Resources Agency (HRA) of New Britain (New Britain)
- Impact Growth Partners (Westport)
- Incision Network (Stamford)
- International Attestations, LLC (Wethersfield)
- JW Healthy Homes, LLC (Madison)
- Lennie Rose Estate Appraisals, Inc. (Norwalk)
- LISS VICTORIA BEAUTY (Danbury)
- Livity, LLC (Norwalk)
- Magic Cleaning Company 1 (Hartford)
- New Britain ROOTS (New Britain)
- Noble Happy Family Home Inc. (Manchester)
- Number 1 Business Broker (Shelton)
- Podorowsky Thompson & Baron (New Britain)
- Publish Your Purpose (Hartford)
- Sound Steppers Square Dance Club, Inc. (Westbrook)
- Strong Sauce Brands, LLC (Milford)
- Team Curcio of William Raveis Real Estate (Stratford)
- Vintage Flyer Media LLC (Sherman)
- World War II Legacy Foundation, Inc. (East Hartford)
Interested organizations may find more information and the pledge form at CEOPledge.ct.gov.
- Twitter: Secretary of State on Twitter
- Facebook: Secretary of State on Facebook