Module 4 of TEAM is aligned with domain 5 of the Common Core of Teaching (CCT) - Assessment for Learning.
Teachers use multiple measures to analyze student performance and to inform subsequent planning and instruction by:
- Understanding the different purposes and types of assessment that capture the complexity of student learning across the hierarchy of cognitive skills;
- Using and/or designing a variety of formative and summative assessments and criteria that directly align with the learning objectives and value the diversity of ways in which students learn;
- Using a comprehensive set of data that provides depth and breadth of understanding of student achievement at a particular point in time and over time;
- Collaborating with colleagues to review and interpret assessment data to monitor and adjust instruction to ensure students’ progress;
- Providing students with assessment criteria and individualized, descriptive feedback to help them improve their performance and assume responsibility for their learning;
- Supporting students’ progress by communicating academic and behavioral performance expectations and results with students, their families and other educators;
- Understanding the role that lack of opportunity to learn, lack of effective instruction, and assessment bias can play in the overrepresentation in special education of students with cultural, ethnic, gender and linguistic differences; and
- Using academic, behavioral and health data to select and/or design interventions, and assist in the development of individualized education programs for students with disabilities.