A foundation in scientific literacy prepares students to be confident and capable lifelong learners who are equipped with the skills needed to access, understand, evaluate and apply information in various contexts. Regardless of their academic standing, all students should have access to a rich and challenging science curriculum that will promote scientific literacy, while inspiring and supporting advanced study and science-related careers.
Next Generation Science Standards
- Nov. 4, 2015 - The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) were adopted by unanimous vote of the Connecticut State Board of Education.
NGSS Professional Development
- Next Generation Science-CT: an introduction to Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and a broad overview of the changes to science teaching and learning envisioned in the Framework for K-12 Science Education (National Research Council, 2012). No-cost; web-based; self-paced; 15 modules offer 16 to 60 hours of structured professional learning for groups of educators.
- Next Gen Science Exemplar System (NGSX): a web-based, expert-led experience of a “3-Dimensional” culture of science learning, where learners use science “practices” (specifically modeling and arguing with evidence) and “crosscutting concepts” to co-construct scientific explanations of real-world phenomena. Expert-facilitated; tuition fee; 30-36 hours of seminar-style learning for groups of teachers.
- Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) PD/PL Opportunities: by Connecticut state statute, DEEP addresses climate change and environmental education as part of their educational/educator series. DEEP has a variety of educational facilities throughout Connecticut. The following locations offer educational programs and exhibits that include climate change topics: Kellogg Environmental Center, Goodwin Conservation Center, Sessions Woods Conservation Center, Meigs Point Nature Center. Educator workshops are available for all CT educators to attend. National educational resource materials, local supplemental materials, resource contacts, and classroom support are provided as needed. Full workshops are structured for five-hour time periods with arrangements being available for shorter sessions. Full list of DEEP resources.
- CT NGSS Parent Toolkit is a short document that will guide parents to better understand the shifts in science education demanded by the NGSS. It includes many useful links to resources that will help parents identify the various components of an exemplary science program.
- CT NGSS Toolkit for Local School Boards is a brief document that will guide school board members to better understand the shifts in science education demanded by the NGSS. It includes many useful links to resources that will help school boards identify the myriad components of an exemplary science program.
- CSDE NGSS Webinar Series - short NGSS webinars on a variety of topics can be found on the CSDE YouTube page.
- NGSS Content Crosswalk Report shows content similarities and differences between NGSS and Connecticut's 2004 science standards.
- STEM Practice Briefs - Brief essays, each focused on a specific issue, authored and reviewed by teachers and researchers. Each Practice Brief leverages practitioners’ expertise and research findings to support the teaching and learning transformations called for in the NGSS.
- Tools for Ambitious Science Teaching - Strategies and tools for designing learning experiences that engage all students in meaningful forms of science learning.
- Classroom Sample Tasks: (Introduction and Overview) (View and Download Tasks)The Classroom Sample Tasks blend content, practices, and concepts from both the NGSS and the Common Core State Standards. Teachers across the disciplines have collaborated to write sample tasks, which are the result of a vision of integrating science, engineering, and mathematics for classroom use.
- Evidence Statements (Executive Summary) (Introduction and Overview) (Grades K-5) (Grades 6-8) (Grades 9-12) NGSS Evidence Statements provide educators with additional detail on what students should know and be able to do. These Evidence Statements are statements of observable and measureable components that, if met, will satisfy NGSS performance expectations.
- National Science Teachers Association NGSS Resources - web seminars, articles from peer-reviewed journals, NSTA Press books, short courses and face-to-face conference lectures and workshops, all designed to build an understanding of the NRC Framework and NGSS.
- NSTA Archived Webinars - NGSS Science and Engineering Practices
- NGSS Appendices - 13 essays detailing elements of the NGSS based upon the recommendations in the Framework for K-12 Science Education (National Research Council, 2012).
- EQuIP Rubric for Evaluation NGSS Quality of Science Lessons and Units - The Educators Evaluating the Quality of Instructional Products (EQuIP) Rubric for science provides criteria by which to measure the alignment and overall quality of lessons and units with respect to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- CLIMATE CHANGE RESOURCES: The CSDE has compiled resources to assist schools in developing climate change instruction consistent with the NGSS.
- Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP): DEEP offers professional learning, lesson plans, tools and resources that address climate change.
- Climate Resources for Educators: DEEP provides Connecticut climate data to assist teachers and students in connecting real data to climate change.
- NASA's Climate Kids: NASA’s Climate Kids Web site brings climate science to life with fun games, interactive features and exciting articles
- NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory California Institute of Technology: NASA offers a collection of K-12 climate change lessons and activities aligned with the NGSS and the Common Core Mathematics Standards.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA): Teaching Climate: NOAA provides reviewed resources for teaching about climate and energy.
- Climate Literacy & Energy Awareness Network: The CLEAN project, part of the National Science Digital Library, offers a reviewed collection of climate and energy science resources, coupled with tools to enable an online community to share and discuss teaching about climate and energy science.
- NASA Wavelength: This reviewed collection of NASA Earth and space science resources is for educators of all levels: K-12, higher education and informal science education.
- U.S. Department of Energy Lesson Plans and Activities: The Department of Energy offers a collection of energy-related lesson plans, labs, projects and other activities for grades K-12.
- ESSEA Climate Education Modules: The NASA-supported Earth System Science Education Alliance (ESSEA) provides modules for teachers taking ESSEA courses, but teachers may also use the modules with their students.
- NASA Innovations in Climate Education: The NASA Innovations in Climate Education (NICE) project, managed at Langley Research Center, includes a portfolio of 71 climate education initiatives that span across the nation and contribute to the development of a climate-literate public and a climate-related STEM workforce.
Connecticut NGSS Stakeholder Engagement Webinars
- May 2015 - CT Association of Schools (CAS) - Introduction to Next Gen Science for Elementary and Secondary Principals
- May 2015 - CT Association of Board of Education (CABE) - Introduction to Next Gen Science for local school board members
- November 2015 - CT Association of Schools (CAS) - Transitioning to Next Generation Science in Connecticut
State Science Standards, Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Publications
- Position Statement on Science Education - Adopted by the State Board of Education on September 3, 2008, this document expresses the Board’s views on the importance of science education and provides guidelines for policymakers.
- Position Statement on Comprehensive STEM Education - Adopted by the State Board of Education on October 3, 2018.
- Connecticut High School Science Safety, Prudent Practices and Regulations
- Connecticut Middle School Safety, Prudent Practices and Regulations
- Elementary Science Safety
- CMT Science Assessment Handbook for Elementary and Middle School
- CMT Science Overview Presentation - information about elementary and middle school Science CMT format and question types, including sample questions.
- CMT Science Test Formats for Elementary and Middle School