RSCO General Policies and Procedures
Managed by the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE), the Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) lottery is the computer-based method that places students with a submitted and completed on-time application. The RSCO lottery includes the Hartford Region Open Choice Program and approximately 45 interdistrict magnet schools. Connecticut resident students eligible to attend a public school may apply to the RSCO lottery.
The Hartford Region Open Choice Program
The Hartford Region Open Choice Program is an option for children entering PK4 (children who will be 4 years old by December 31 of the school year for which parent/guardian applies) through grade 10 (for Hartford residents) or grade 12 (for non-Hartford residents).
- Students attend a non-magnet, public school outside of their hometown.
- Hartford students may attend a suburban, non-magnet public school from program entry through high school graduation.
- Suburban students may attend a Hartford district school.
Interdistrict Magnet Schools
Interdistrict magnet schools offer opportunities for PK3 (children who will be 3 years old by December 31 of the school year for which parent/guardian applies) through grade 12. Many schools and programs have before and after school care available. Please check with schools that interest you regarding extended day and extended year opportunities.
- Located in Hartford and surrounding towns, have specialized educational themes.
- Hartford and suburban residents may apply.
Find a Hartford area magnet schools and Open Choice locations by town on the RSCO transportation zone map and find school websites.
2018-19 RSCO *Catalog
(last updated January 2018)
- Lottery policies, guidelines and FAQ's, placement procedures, waitlists, school pathways and preferences.
- Open Choice Program district and *school descriptions and interdistrict magnet school descriptions and transportation services.
*Due to production schedules some information included in the catalog may have changed or been updated.
RSCO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Hartford Region Open Choice Program, Magnet Schools, Technical and Agriscience Education.
More information on the RSCO Lottery
RSCO School Choice Laws & Regulations
- More information on Connecticut School Choice Laws & Regulations
RSCO Lottery Placement Procedures
- The RSCO lottery may use one or more procedures to place students in the Open Choice program or a magnet school.
- None of the procedures guarantees placement in Open Choice or a magnet school.
RSCO Lottery Placement Offers
- Magnet school or Open Choice placement offers are sent by e-mail or phone to the parent/guardian.
- Once a placement offer notification is received the parent/guardian must either accept or decline the placement offer.
- Parent/guardians must log-in to the application online to accept or decline a placement offer.
- Applications with offers are removed from all waitlists.
- Preschool tuition will only be charged for newly enrolled 2018-19 preschool students.
- Families with an income at or below 75% of the State Median Income (SMI) will not be required to pay tuition.
RSCO Lottery Waitlists
- Waitlist positions do not guarantee a placement in a magnet school and/or the Open Choice Program.
- Parent/guardians must log-in to the application online to accept or decline a waitlist position.
- Applications without a response to the waitlist by the deadline will move the application to the bottom of the waitlist.
- Parent/guardians should register their child/student in their local school until a magnet school or Open Choice placement is offered, accepted and registration is complete.
- A child/student is not considered registered and enrolled in the new magnet school and/or the Open Choice Program until the registration process is complete.
- A regional transportation system serves the Greater Hartford school choice programs
- Various transportation options, including traditional school bus transport, vans, public bus passes, and parent stipends (if eligible).
RSCO Lottery Timeline
The RSCO lottery application period opens in November and closes in February with placement offer notifications beginning in May.
Parent Information Center
Connecticut State Department of Education
Regional School Choice Office (RSCO)
450 Columbus Blvd, Suite P28
Hartford, CT 06103-1841