School Choice Catalog and General Information
*Due to production schedules information included in the RSCO catalog may change or be updated.
List of School Choice Programs by Locations
General Information about the Regional School Choice Office
Connecticut’s State Department of Education (CSDE) created the Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) in partnership with operator districts to manage the school choice application and placement process for the Open Choice Program and magnet schools in response to the Sheff v. O’Neil case. For more information on school choice and application assistance phone (860)713-6990, email: email@example.com or refer to the Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) informational catalog.
The Hartford Region Open Choice Program
The Hartford Region Open Choice Program is an option for children entering PK4 (children who will be 4 years old by December 31 of the school year for which parent/guardian applies) through grade 10 (for Hartford residents) or grade 12 (for non-Hartford residents).
- Students attend a non-magnet, public school outside of their hometown.
- Hartford students may attend a suburban, non-magnet public school from program entry through high school graduation.
- Suburban students may attend a Hartford district school.
Interdistrict Magnet Schools
Interdistrict magnet schools offer opportunities for PK3 (children who will be 3 years old by December 31 of the school year for which parent/guardian applies) through grade 12. Many schools and programs have before and after school care available. Please check with schools that interest you regarding extended day and extended year opportunities.
- Located in Hartford and surrounding towns, have specialized educational themes.
- Hartford and suburban residents may apply.
School Choice Laws & Regulations
- Tuition for Preschool Programs
- Sheff v. O’Neill Stipulation and Proposed Order, Phase III
- More information on Connecticut School Choice Laws & Regulations
School Choice Placement Priorities and Pathways
Accepting or Declining a School Choice Placement Offer
- Magnet school or Open Choice placement offers are sent by e-mail or phone to the parent/guardian.
- Once a placement offer notification is received the parent/guardian must either accept or decline the placement offer.
- Parent/guardians must log-in to the application online to accept or decline a placement offer.
- Applications with offers are removed from all waitlists.
- Preschool tuition will only be charged for newly enrolled preschool students.
- Families with an income at or below 75% of the State Median Income (SMI) will not be required to pay tuition.
Goodwin College Preschool Magnet Tuition information.
School Choice Waitlists
- Waitlist positions do not guarantee a placement in a magnet school and/or the Open Choice Program.
- Parent/guardians must log-in to the application online to accept or decline a waitlist position.
- Applications without a response to the waitlist by the deadline will move the application to the bottom of the waitlist.
- Parent/guardians should register their child/student in their local school until a magnet school or Open Choice placement is offered, accepted and registration is complete.
- A child/student is not considered registered and enrolled in the new magnet school and/or the Open Choice Program until the registration process is complete.
- A regional transportation system serves the Greater Hartford school choice programs
- Various transportation options, including traditional school bus transport, vans, public bus passes, and parent stipends (if eligible).
Parent Information Center
Connecticut State Department of Education
Regional School Choice Office (RSCO)
450 Columbus Blvd, Suite P28
Hartford, CT 06103-1841