NOTICE: Coronavirus Guidance for School Districts: Per Governor’s executive order, in-school class cancellations remain in effect until at least April 20, 2020.
Emergency Meal Programs: The State Department of Education is authorizing two distinct categories of COVID-19 Emergency Meal Programs in accordance with federal requirements: 1) COVID-19 Emergency Meal Program Limited to Students Attending School in Specific Districts. School districts on this list are only authorized to serve meals to students attending their schools, and any other child age 18 years or younger residing in the same household; 2) COVID-19 Community-wide Emergency Meal Program for Children. Any child age 18 years or younger can receive meal(s) at any meal service and distribution sites in these towns/cities. They do not have to be a resident or attend school in these towns/cities. Check these links often as more locations continue to be added.

Agricultural Science and Technology (ASTE)


  • What is a regional agricultural science and technology education centers?

    Regional agricultural science and technology education centers prepare students for college and careers in the fields of agriculture, aquaculture, horticulture, mechanics, food science, biotechnology and the environment as part of their high school program. Local or regional boards of education may be designated as regional centers if approved by the State Board of Education.

  • Who pays for ASTE schools?

    Parents do not have to pay tuition for the student. The state pays each center a per-student grant for each student enrolled. The district where the student lives pays tuition to the district operating the center. There is no tuition cost to parents.

  • Who provides for the cost of the needs of special education students?

    The special education costs are the responsibility of the district where the student lives. The responsibility for holding planning and placement team (PPT) meetings also belongs to the district where the student lives. For more information, refer to Special Education Resources for Families.

  • Whom do I contact to enroll my child in one of the ASTE centers?
    Answer: Contact your local board of education for information. If your local high school does not offer agricultural instruction, the district must designate a school or schools for its students to attend. Your local board of education office will have information on applying to the school operating the center. If you are a parent/guardian or student in the greater Hartford region and wish to obtain information about an application for Open Choice, interdistrict magnet schools, technical high schools, or regional agriculture science centers, please contact the Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) at 860-713-6990. 
  • What are the purposes of the ASTE centers?

    ASTE centers prepare students for careers in the environmental, natural resources and Agriculture Science fields. The program is hands-on and combines rigorous academics, occupational skill development, leadership development and a work-based component. Each student’s abilities, talents and interests are developed through a diverse learning environment in 19 regional agricultural science and technology education centers located across the state.

  • Who is eligible to attend ASTE?

    Any student interested in a career in an agriculture-related field, and has completed the eighth grade is eligible to apply to an Agricultural Science and Technology Education Center. Any school district that does not provide agricultural instruction must designate a school or schools for its students to attend.