CSDE Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) Launches New School Choice Application, Hosts Virtual Fall Information Fair for Families
School Choice Fair for the 2021-22 Application Season to Feature Live Events Dec. 7-11
(HARTFORD) – The Connecticut State Department of Education’s (CSDE) Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) invites parents, grandparents and guardians of children entering Grades Pre-K through 12 to visit the RSCO Fall Virtual Fair to kick off the application season for the 2021-22 school year. For the first time, RSCO will launch the Fall Fair in a virtual format so prospective students and their families can safely get the information they need all in one place and explore the incredible educational opportunities available within the Greater Hartford Region, from magnet schools, to Open Choice options, technical schools, and Agricultural Science and Technology Education Schools.
The Virtual Fair site will be available beginning on December 4, 2020, with a live events week from December 7 through December 11, 2020. During the live events, students and families can interact with administrators, students and staff; watch helpful videos; search for schools based on grade, theme, location, and school type; and get their questions answered so they have everything they need to know to make an informed choice about which school is best for their children.
After exploring the School Choice options, RSCO invites families to check out the new RSCO School Choice application. The application is a new, user-friendly, on-line application platform that will let families (1) see their home as compared to available schools on a map; (2) easily search schools and access tons of helpful information so families can make an informed choice; (3) automatically save the application so families don’t have to finish it in one sitting; and (4) so much more! The application period runs from December 1, 2020 through February 28, 2021; Early Connecticut Technical Education and Career System deadline through the RSCO application is January 22, 2021.
About the Fall Virtual Fair
- Event: The Regional School Choice Fall Virtual Fair for the 2021-22 application season, hosted by CSDE RSCO and partners, will provide information for families with children entering Grades Pre-K through 12 about the amazing school choice options available in the Greater Hartford Region for Connecticut residents.
- Date: Families can access the on-line Fall Virtual Fair on December 4th and attend live virtual events, beginning December 7 through December 11, 2020.
- Time: The Virtual Fairs website can be accessed at any time, beginning on December 4, 2020; information on live events will be provided on the Virtual Fair calendar
- Location: Families can access the Virtual Fair from the RSCO website at www.choiceeducation.org.
About the RSCO Application for the 2021-22 School Year:
- The RSCO School Choice Application is a new, user-friendly application, designed to help families make informed choices about their school and program selections.Families do not have to complete the application in one sitting but can return to the application at a later time and complete and submit it when they have their selections ready.
- The 2021-22 school choice on-time application period opened on December 1, 2020 and closes on Sunday, February 28, 2021.
- Applications are not first-come, first served and there is no advantage to applying early as long as families apply by February 28, 2021, except for applications to the technical high schools.Families should take their time to explore their options and make an informed decision to find the right fit for their children.
- Families with students interested in applying to AI Prince Technical High School, EC Goodwin Technical High School, and Howell Cheney Technical High School for 9th grade can take advantage of early placement decisions by applying by January 22, 2020.
- The easy-to-use RSCO School Choice application allows Connecticut families from Hartford and surrounding suburban communities to apply to themed Interdistrict Magnet Schools, the Open Choice Program, and three technical schools (AI Prince Technical High School, EC Goodwin Technical High School, and Howell Cheney Technical High School) at one-time through one application.
- The application includes 40 themed Magnet Schools, which integrate specialized programming and themes into the core academic curriculum to challenge students and inspire lifelong learners. Magnet themes include Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), Visual and Performing Arts, Montessori, Character Education, International Baccalaureate, and many more.
- The Hartford Region Open Choice Program is another unique option on the school choice application, which allows students to attend a non-magnet public school outside of their hometown through high school graduation.
- Although there are opportunities generally available at every grade level, the greatest number of available seats tend to be at the entry grades, including in particular Pre-K, Kindergarten, Grade 6 and Grade 9.
- RSCO partners include: the Capitol Region Education Council; Hartford Public Schools’ Host Magnet Program; the Hartford Region Open Choice Program; Goodwin College’s Riverside Magnet School and Connecticut River Academy; Bloomfield Public Schools’ Wintonbury Early Childhood Magnet School and Global Experience Magnet School; East Hartford Public Schools’ Connecticut IB Academy; A.I. Prince Technical High School, E.C. Goodwin Technical High School, Howell Cheney Technical High School, D.F. Harris Sr. Agriscience Center at Bloomfield High School, Glastonbury Regional Agriscience and Technology Center and the Suffield Regional Agriscience Center.
For families with questions or applying for the first time, RSCO is here to help you! RSCO staff and RSCO partners are available to answer questions and help families complete the application for the 2021-22 school year. Call RSCO’s Parent Information Center at 860-713-6990 weekdays (excluding state holidays) between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. with questions or email RSCO at email@example.com.
For more information on the Fall Virtual Fair, school events, information sessions, open houses and to apply online, please visit RSCO’s Web site at www.choiceeducation.org.
Additional RSCO Events for the 2021-22 School Year
December 7 – 11, 2020
RSCO Fall Virtual Fair Week
To learn more go to www.choiceeducation.org
Thursday, December 10, 2020
CREC Open Choice Virtual Program Fair
6:30 pm – 7:30 p.m.
Registration Link: www.crec.org/c/OCInfoSession
Saturday, December 3, 2020
CREC Magnet Schools Virtual Fair
6:30 pm – 7:30 p.m.
Registration Link: www.crec.org/c/CRECMagnetSchoolFair
Tuesday, December 2, 2020
Goodwin University Virtual Magnet School Information Session
Riverside Magnet School
Session 1: 12:00 p.m.
Connecticut River Academy
Session 2: 6:30pm
Wednesday, December 7, 2020
Connecticut IB Academy (CIBA) Virtual Open House
Session 1: 5:30 p.m.
We will continue to add RSCO Events through the application cycle.
Please visit www.choiceeducation.org for the latest information.
The State of Connecticut Department of Education is committed to a policy of equal opportunity/affirmative action for all qualified persons. The Department of Education does not discriminate in any employment practice, education program, or educational activity on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability (including, but not limited to, intellectual disability, past or present history of mental disorder, physical disability or learning disability), genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by Connecticut state and/or federal nondiscrimination laws. The Department of Education does not unlawfully discriminate in employment and licensing against qualified persons with a prior criminal conviction. Inquiries regarding the Department of Education's nondiscrimination policies should be directed to: Levy Gillespie, Equal Employment Opportunity Director/American with Disabilities Act Coordinator, State of Connecticut Department of Education, 25 Industrial Park Road, Middletown, CT 06457, 860-807-2101. Levy.Gillespie@ct.gov.”
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
- Twitter: CT State Department of Education Twitter
- Facebook: CT State Department of Education Facebook