Paying attention to attendance and engagement is as essential this year as ever before!Given the unique challenges created from COVID-19, regular and ongoing communications and strong relationships are vital. Schools, families and communities working together will create welcoming school environments, strong family and school relations, successful student outcomes and strong student attendance that ensures ALL students benefit from the learning opportunities offered.
The most important first steps are prevention and monitoring student attendance early and often. On a regular basis, school teams should review and monitor student attendance data for causes and barriers followed by implementing and monitoring a multi-tier system of support to encourage student attendance and a welcoming climate where all students feel a part of the school community.
Stay up-to-dateKeep current on recent communications from the State Department of Education to leaders in school districts by visiting the Superintendent's Digest. Items from the Commissioner, Deputy Commissioners, division directors, and others are posted here as they are sent. Learn more about CSDE's Peer Learning Opportunities and sign-up for the attendance listservs on the Peer Learning Opportunities webpage.
Supporting Student Attendance
- Learner Engagement and Attendance Program (LEAP), a research-based home visiting program that builds partnerships with families to strengthen school engagement and student attendance.
An Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Home Visits for Re-Engaging Students Who Were Chronically Absent in the Era of Covid-19
- Mental Health Wellness Days Guidance (January 24, 2022)
- Reducing Chronic Absence in Connecticut Schools: A Prevention and Intervention Guide for Schools and Districts
- Addendum 14: Supporting Student Attendance and Engagement during Hybrid or Remote Learning (September 21, 2020)
- Talk Tuesdays, registration information and archive of past meetings
E-Learning Series on Attendance & Engagement with Attendance Works
Session 1 - January 23, 2023
Session 2 - February 9, 2023
Monthly Tracking of Student Attendance
- EdSight Data Portal
- Supporting Student Participation (ct.gov) Monthly Attendance Reports
- 2022-23 PSIS Reference Guide
See Appendix F – Guidelines for Reporting Student Attendance in the Public School Information System (PSIS), page 50
See Appendix L – Reporting Information about Students who are Disengaged, page 59