Substitute Teacher Authorization


If you hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, you may serve as a substitute teacher all school year, as long as you do not teach more than 40 days in the same assignment. In this case, no special authorization is required.

Each local school district has its own application process and set of requirements. You must contact each board of education to determine your eligibility to substitute in that district.

Substitute Teacher Authorizations

To teach beyond 40 days in the same assignment

If you do not hold the appropriate grade and subject appropriate certificate, to substitute more than 40 days in one district in the same assignment, whether or not those are consecutive school days, you must hold a valid authorization. The district must apply to our office for a substitute teacher authorization. To be eligible for this authorization, you must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university and a minimum of 12 semester hours of credit in the subject area you are teaching.

If you hold a valid Connecticut teaching certificate, a certificate of eligibility, or a standard or a permanent certificate that is subject and grade appropriate to the long-term substitute position, you may serve as a substitute teacher without any further authorization. The long-term substitute authorization is required if you do not hold a Connecticut education certificate or if you hold a Connecticut certificate that is not subject and grade appropriate.

To substitute in various assignments without a bachelor’s degree

Under special circumstances, a superintendent may request a waiver of the bachelor’s degree requirement for a substitute teacher. In such cases, the superintendent of the school system must request approval from the State Department of Education. The waiver may be granted to an individual who is:

  • at least 18 years of age;
  • a high school graduate; and
  • has previous experience with school age children.

If a waiver is granted, candidates who do not possess a bachelor’s degree may substitute for the school year in different assignments, for no more than 40 days in the same assignment in any one district. Candidates who do not hold a bachelor’s degree may not serve in the same position for more than 40 days, whether or not those days are consecutive.

The information contained on this fact sheet is subject to change without notice.